Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gnar-Gnar's PVC Stunt Saber #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    One thing. From to look of the pipe it came from, it could be ABS. That can kick back on you. so, I just say this in case you are working with (plastics) the different kinds of plastic act different when cut. Cut at high speeds and with a saw with a high tooth count. Just to be safe. Your hands are magic!!
    All my PVC sabers are hand cut and sanded only my aluminum and MHS based sabers get the machine treatment
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler

That's what I mean. I've had the dremel get me a few times.
    You do some awesome work. Love every saber I've seen. Like I said. Magic hands. ������☝

I rarely take the dremel to PVC, for straight angles I use a mitre box, and curves I usually sand (which is why I don't have as many curves )

Thanks for the positive feedback, I'm really enjoying making these, and have been having great success with some recent PVC commissions. I've got 4 MHS based sabers in varying forms of completion right now, so not much time for my PVC work lately
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler

Have to agree with the others, this is a beauty. To me the leather kind of looks like an oxblood shade of red, am I right?
    Anyways, I like how it complements the antique brass painted parts, and also makes a nice contrast against the silver
    body without clashing. Good color choices all around. I'd like to echo the question posted by vargos on page 2 about how
    you made that wicked cool blade plug, if you get the time to reply.

This thread seems a little old... But I'd love to know what fitting/plug was used for the emitter/blade holder.

Love this design! Is the red thumb-screw for securing your LED heatsink in place? What thread-size did you tap your holes? Reason I ask is because I'm currently working on a PVC saber and want to make sure I get the correct threads for my retention screws.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

It's this screw and it's 8/32 thread.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Thanks Miraluka. I appreciate your response on the threads. Do you know if the threads can be cut right into the PVC or does a threaded insert of some kind need to be used? The reason I ask is I've come across both methods as I've researched and am curious as to which method is more commonly preferred. PVC just doesn't seem to be an ideal material for cutting threads but maybe my assumptions are incorrect.
    "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children"

I cut threads into PVC all the time. Just don't try to tighten the screws down super tight. Obviously PVC isn't as sturdy as aluminum and you might strip the threads.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Okay. Thanks for that response as well. I appreciate it.