Thread: Obi Wan ROTS PVC Saber

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Default Obi Wan ROTS PVC Saber

Hey, all! This past summer I've been working on a ROTJ Obi Wan saber. I used PVC for the hilt, and TCSS parts for the blade and electronics. I?ll update the thread in the next few days as I finish some details, such as the emitter and pommel. If you think of other angles you'd like to see, I'd be happy to oblige.

Lit blade in bright room

Close up of the hilt

Here's the set screw that holds the blade on

The unfinished pommel showing off the placeholder speaker

Couple of questions: first, how would you guys recommend painting the pommel and emitter to be reflective chrome? Would leafing or mylar film work? Second, where's a good place to find an economy sound board? I'll eventually buy a crouton when my budget allows, but that'll be a while. I've checked ebay and amazon, but didn't have any luck finding something less than $30.

That is a great pvc replica!

To answer your question, for a shinier metallic finish, I would try a layer of silver spray paint, followed by some rub'n'buff silver accents, covered in a gloss clear coat. It won't be chrome, but in my experience "chrome" paints are never the mirror finish they're advertised as.

Fine work there... very sweet. The one piece of advice I've got about the silver paint (and paint in general) would be to give a very soft sanding to every paint coat up until the final, to knock the texture of the paint down. Really fine sandpaper (1000 grit) or even a section of brown paper grocery bag will do (my woodworking cousin uses those between varnish coats). Be sure to clean the dust off before the next coat! Can't wait to see this progress on this saber...

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions, when I get a chance I'll give the pommel and emitter a proper paint job. Today, I painted the neck and pommel, the pommel just being quick and dirty to see how the whole thing looks. I also got a start on the pommel cubes and finished the emitter (save paint).

Attached Images Attached Images