Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sks1138's First MHS saber!!

Default sks1138's First MHS saber!!

Hello Saberland,

After some time I've finally made a MHS saber with NBv2. I did my homework and read and read and read. Then read some more. Soaking up all the info available on the forum. I ordered some parts a year ago, then ordered the rest this year after my tax refund. Thanks to everyone that has posted useful things on here. Especially Forgetful Jedi Knight and Silver Serpent. They've answered so many questions I didn't have to ask (does that make sense?). FJK did check my wiring diagram and clarified some resistor questions. I am blown away with it. It's so loud. I felt like a giddy 5 year old when I first ignited it. Sure beats my sinktube saber with the Hasbro econo board. So with out further adieu..

The particulars:
    MHS parts
    Rb/G/G tri-rebel. Rb/G wired for Cyan(or the closest to it with the mix) w/ Green FOC
    NBv2 with PEX
    currently Madcow's Flourish(love the unique hum) and Rogue sound fonts (LordBlako's Glare in the vid with Flourish)
    2w bass speaker
    Recharge port
    Yellow rectangle accent LED
    custom D-ring holder
    modified bargain basement Control box(was in the bargain basement section last year for $5)
    Acid Etched overlay piece
    Black chrome and matte black tuscon powder coat
    some screws(metric) from an HP Indigo 5000 Digital Press (I work for a printing company)
    and many visits to Ace Hardware(for those hard to find screws and tap sets) and Skycraft Electrical Surplus here in Orlando.

The control box woudn't fit over the powder coat so I had to get creative. I had to dremel out the inside of the control box to accommodate the recharge port.

For the etching I used the Root kill method. Thanks to Rogue9607 for his trials with the root kill. I followed his post for his Satele Saber (Version 2) --> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ight=root+kill
    I designed the pattern in Illustrator and had some vinyl cut at work to apply to the piece. I used a 2 cups of water and 3oz of salt and root kill and left the piece in for 5 minutes. Then used some thinned down flat black model paint to weather it a bit. I'm really happy with the results. I'm surprised with the results. Though I shouldn't be seeing Rogue9607's Satele and Scrap saber. I will do more etching on future sabers.

The chassis discs are very fragile and the tops broke off during test fittings. I had to sand the discs quite a bit to get to them to slide easily in the ribbed section

Here's a link to a video of the Saber --> http://vid261.photobucket.com/albums...IDEO0033-0.mp4

I whoaed. Great work on the shroud, very nice cyan mix, all in all a great saber. Love the balance of industrial and elegant parts.

First one, huh... That's a sweet hilt, very Old Republic. Acid etching looks fantastic with a wonderful overall visual balance for the hilt. Very well done.

Woah that acid etched overlay looks amazing! Congrats!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Love the shroud and the color. Very nice indeed!

That's your first? A most impressive start to your saber career. I will continue to expect great things from you.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I love the antique old republic feel to this. Very well done! I love it!

Nice work. The etching came out well.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

love the etching, well done!
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler