Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My first LED string blade - a progress diary

I'm going to build one.... this thread has incepted the idea. I've got 2 more projects lined up then its a LED blade. I haven't seen a really bright one in Red...maybe ill give it a shot.
    A fool speaks of what he knows while a wise man listens for what he does not.

The completion:

I left off at the stage where I had the full LED string, it lighted up all right, it had got its first protection and diffusor layer in the form of a shrink tube I heated - for lack of a heat gun - the shaft of my soldering iron.

My next step was to scavenge a proper board for this build. I Long planned to hack an Ultimate Hasbro board for one of my custom builds, more out of curiosity than anything else. Challenges and boundary conditions:
    - the string blade uses around 6.8V, the Hasbro can take up to bit above 5V
    - I'm not particularly fond of resistors, I like active drive adjustment better. So I had to solve supplying the blade with a variable voltage out of 2 18650 Li-Ion cells no be able to Limit the current and also decrease the light intensity if I let the Kids play with the blade (yeah, I do let them play, and yeah, the blade is infernal bright, and Kids are mesmerized by brigth blade and tend to look at it for long minutes...)
    - I had to Bypass the Hasbro Output stages because of the different voltage used by the blade and due to fear of frying it

So I put together this circuitry>

Now back to the main character of this diary: the blade. Although it had some mechanical stability provided by the shrink tube, I figured it might be inadequate to protect it during a (less violent) duel. Just by sheer luck I got a huge sheet of cellophane packaging material I had been looking for for ages in vain, when we bought a new desk for my son (he's going to School soon ) . I wrapped this 2nd line of defense around the string:

I was a bit afraid that with 4 diffusor layers the intensity will vanish, and while so many layers do decrease the intensity, it's not that bad. Even though I used thin angle LED's, the light is absolutely even. I have only minimal shadowing due to the wires, you have to look very close to see them (which I would respectfilly discourage you to do for obvious reasons...)

I used a DIN 8-pole plug, female side for the blade, male for the hilt side. Amazing thing is: the winded section fits perfectly into the TCSS diffuser!!! It's plug-and-play.

Next steps: Cram-fu the custom electronics along with the Hasbro board into the hilt, plus the 2 serially connected 18650 batteries. Oh yes, and to wire a clash sensor.

And finally the video showing the blade in action (sorry for my lousy English):
    Last edited by Obi1; 08-14-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Hi Obi1,
    really a nice job, as a total noob I'm sincerely impressed.
    Most of all, I'm interested in understanding your custom circuit to bypass the hasbro soundboard. I have a fx soundboard and I wish to build a led-string blade, but I'm stuck because I'm not so able as you are in electronics. So I have the same power problem you solved in that way...
    Thanks for any info and please excuse my approximate english...
    Zeni

Bongiorno Zeni,
    Thanks for you post, I've been thinking about drawing the schematics for this circuitry for a long time now, you gave me just the right kick to start with it. I will open up for that a separate thread, and I will post the link here, so watch out (I'll try to do it during the weekend).
    Ciao!

Many thanks Obi1, it's so important to me to see people sharing any useful knowledge! I just hope I'll be able to help someone sooner or later, this forum gave me so much...
    Ciao!