Thread: need advice for film project

Default need advice for film project

I'm hoping the saber community will be able to help me out with a project. A bro of mine owns a film business and is looking to make a short film. Since he doesn't have an account here I'm asking on his behalf. 2 of the things he's looking to possibly incorporate into his film are an R2d2 like droid, specifically the R8 series of droids. He's also looking for Jedi/Sith robes that could be used for the film as well. For the droid he's looking for possibly a full sized r2d2 like droid that can move around like a droid and perhaps turn the head. Would anyone know of a place to get some decent quality robes and an r2d2 or perhaps a way to make them for cheap.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

How realistic would it have to be? Would it have to be the right height or would there be the possibility of using camera tricks to make it appear the correct size? There is an electronic interactive R2 for sale in various places (second image on the right). There are also R2 trash cans which are closer to the actual size. The images below are a Halloween costume my wife made for our son. She used a cardboard tube sold at hardware stores for pouring concrete columns for the body and a plastic fruit salad bowl from Wegman's for the dome (and paint of course).

680463_10151234483684306_1861274873_o.jpg

665310_10151231079219306_662370724_o.jpg
    The above statements GREATLY depends on what battery solution as well as what sound card you plan on using to run your saber. Limitations will probably apply. Your mileage may vary. Any visual impairments are the sole responsibility of the saber builder/user. - Forgetful Jedi Knight

If he can he's wanting something close to the actual size. So far one of his possible ideas is to get something that he can use for motion capture and then do some editing later on. If need be he can go for the interactive one and just use it but from the way he was talking something actual size or close to actual size would be better. That looks like a possibility. Perhaps the smaller one could be used for motion capture and the larger one as a reference. I'll have to get up with him and see what all he says.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

I would suggest trying to contact the 501st and/or Rebel Legion. Those guys know more about Star Wars cosplay than anyone I know. I've seen them at conferences before with remote control R2 units. There may be someone in your area that has one who would be willing to come out for a donation to a charity. They show up at places to raise money for charities, when they're not goofing off.