Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Adegan Relic - A High Powered Burning Laser Lightsaber

Cool The Adegan Relic - A High Powered Burning Laser Lightsaber

THE ADEGAN RELIC - 5.5W NDB7A75

Hello everyone, today I will be going through a very detailed account of my Journey
    in creating my brand new laser, The Adegan Relic. This has been a long time in the
    making and I am extremely proud of how it has turned out. I have been dreaming
    of this day since 7th Grade.

What it is:

The Adegan Relic is my attempt to get as close as possible to creating a real working
    lightsaber. Back in 7th grade, my lightsaber schematics involved a Ruby Rod, a Helical
    Flash Lamp, and a physics defying Power Supply. Today with the innovations in Laser
    Diode technology my quest is far less fantastical in nature.

My Journey to Attain it:

The quest to create The Adegan Relic began on June 5th, 2014 and was a long road
    filled with many redesigns and "back to square one's". On June 5th I began the quest
    for the perfect host with Ehgemus. I told him that I wanted to have a lightsaber host built.

The Build Log:

Host Quest Begins - 6/05/2014
    I texted Ehgemus and asked for a lightsaber host. Over the coming days I would
    send him a number of pictures until I chose what I wanted.
    Driver Requested - 6/06/2014
    I contacted RHD and asked if he would be willing to fabricate a more powerful driver
    than currently available.
    Driver Promised - 6/06/2014
    RHD agreed and I believe the understanding is I owe him about 1000 favors. Seriously
    man, forever indebted to ya. RHD made me a 4.1A Linear Driver.
    Diode Ordered - 6/09/2014
    Having secured a suitable Driver, I ordered a 3.5W 445nm NDB7A75 from DTR with a
    G lens in a Copper Module for 335 dollars.
    Diode Arrived - 6/13/2014 (from DTR)
    The beginning of my impatient end.
    Driver Arrived - 6/20/2014 (from Canada)
    The sealing of the fate of impatient mental pacing. All the internals were here!
    Host Quest Nears Completion with Obi-Wan ANH Replica - 6/26/2014
    The host is SO close! See pictures in the media section of thread.
    Host Quest Delayed due to Machining Error - 6/26/2014 (due to grenade tooling)
    From the heights of victorious anticipation fell the burning wound of knowing it would be
    much more time before my quest was finished.
    Begin New Design Quest - 6/26/2014
    I wasted no time in making a new design. I needed something simpler that wouldn't
    pose similar issues for Ehgemus, but I was determined to make it better!
    Reach new TCSS host plan - 7/01/2014
    Remembering a website where I once considered ordering custom lightsaber parts, I
    headed there. I joined their forum and found out all the necessary details about
    measurements. The parts were fantastic but would they fit my needs? My thought -
    buy the complicated parts and give Ehgemus drawings of how I wanted them modded
    and diagrams of the simpler parts to connect them. This way I get the crazy design
    I want....no need....and we don't risk any other problems.
    Order TCSS parts - 7/01/2014
    Miraculously all of the measurements were just about perfect! So I ordered a number
    of parts. The price added up VERY quickly, but at this point I had no qualms about
    spending more money. It had to be perfect.
    Bought Slide Switches - 7/03/2014
    I decided that a slide switch would be the most ideal option. I would have done a
    toggle AV switch but all the latching ones are too long for side buttons inside hosts. So
    I went to Fry's and bought several different switches.
    TCSS Parts Arrived - 7/10/2014
    The excitement begins....more excitement than many of you will understand. These
    parts are iconic. They are a symbol of my childhood and the dream that was becoming
    reality right in front of me.
    Ordered Covertec Parts - 7/10/2014
    I saw something interesting on TCSS and ordered some Covertec parts. These are movie
    accurate wheels and clips that are meant to hold the saber hilt on my belt. I know.
    I'm a bit of a geek. lol.
    Shipped All Parts to Ehgemus - 7/11/2014
    I made up my diagrams and sent them along with all of the parts to Ehgemus so we could
    begin the final leg of this journey. Everything was coming together
    Ehgemus Receives Parts - 7/14/2014
    Ehgemus Finishes Work On Saber Hilt - 7/20/2014
    I then asked Ehgemus to Ship the parts via Overnight Delivery. It had been almost two
    months since I began the process on this project and I was dying to get things in hand.
    Ehgemus Ships Parts w/ Overnight Delivery - 7/21/2014
    It only costs 35 dollars to ship all the parts back. To me - small price to pay.
    Overnight Delivery does NOT Ariive by Guaranteed Time - 7/22/2014 @ 12:00PM
    I made phone calls. I made post office visits. I could have been nicer to people.
    Package Arrives With Regular Mail - 7/22/2014 @ 5:00PM
    It is happening. Also I consider apologizing to USPS workers....I decide they probably deserved it jk
    I Begin Work - 7/22/2014 @ 5:30PM
    I am doing EVERYTHING right on this. This is the first time I will have heatsinked
    a driver! #ashamed
    I Finish Work - 7/22/2014 @ 6:07PM
    Firing the laser up reveals she functions as expected on the FIRST try. Floaters
    initiated.(for any non laser folks basically risidual retinal imaging from laser light overload).
    This is a laser you HAVE to wear goggles for. 5.5W of perfection!

The Build Blow by Blow:

The Parts:
    NDB7A75 3.5W Diode from DTR
    4.1A RHD Driver
    TCSS Blade holder Style 20
    TCSS Choke Style 1
    TCSS Pommel Style 4
    TCSS Covertec Wheel and Clip
    TCSS Graflex Replica Pieces
    Ehgemus Built Heatsink for Blade Holder 20
    Ehgemus Built Hilt to Connect Choke and Pommel and hold Batteries
    Fry's Slide Switch to Handle 5A 125V - Prewired into Choke w/ Cover
    Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive

Pictures:

STEP 1:

Prepare Surface for Driver with Thermal Adhesive....Also, make sure you lengthen any
    leads you need to before this step....it was a bit messy when I had that oh **** moment
    right after applying driver to surface. Had to work very quickly! Lol.

STEP 2:

Apply the driver to the Surface Area and hold until Thermal Adhesive cures.

STEP 3:

Slide Heatsink In w/ Host Wire Ready for Connection to Driver. I had to be careful here
    as the heatsink came almost flush to the driver and I had to orient the heatsink a
    certain way so wires didn't push the driver off. White wire is Host connection wire.

STEP 4:

Connect Host Wire and Positive Battery Input Wire to Driver Voltage Inputs. Make sure
    they are wired right....I have killed a diode before by mixing up wires lol. Don't forget
    to use Heatshrink tubing to remove any risk of shorts.

STEP 5:

Wire Up the Diode to the leads you attached to the Driver Diode Outputs and use Heatshrink!

STEP 6:

Confirm All Connections to be Valid! This is the most important step!!! If you wire it wrong,
    a derpy moment can be your undoing!

STEP 7:

Insert Diode Module and Tighten Set Screw. Then twist the heatsink so that the set screw
    is facing the shroud piece. Be mindful of how the wires are moving inside since they are
    so close to the driver.

STEP 8:

Manage the Wires and Twist all of the pieces together! Make sure to not twist things too much!

STEP 9:

Switch the Aixiz Focus Ring out for the Custom Ehgemus Focus Ring. It looks a hell of a lot better!

STEP 10:

Put the Batteries in and Turn it On! This is the scariest part! Luckily, the laser burst into life
    and my garage was filled with a 445nm entity.

Video:

[YT]PTq_YySWPXw[/YT]

CONCLUSION

To sum up this is just about the best laser I have ever built and the culmination of all these years of plotting.

Special Thanks to:
    DTR(of LPF) - For providing the diodes to the forum
    RHD(of LPF) - For providing the 4.1A driver!
    Ehgemus(of LPF) - For the SPECTACULAR Custom Work as always!
    The Custom Saber Shop - For making Lightsaber parts available CNC'd.
    All those who helped me in my thread!

Thanks for looking guys! I cannot stop smiling wickedly! This is my first attempt at a Build Log of sorts, let me know if I did it correctly or not.
    -Isaac

That's a fine build log for a most unusual project. I'm glad you had fun assembling this, and shared your experiences with us.

I'd talk to you about safety, but I'm sure you're quite versed in that (or your eyes wouldn't work too well anymore)
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Great build log and congrats for getting this one finished! But man ... careful with those eyes
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Congrats on getting it finished. I'll second what the others said about eye protection.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Well done mate! Have been looking forward to seeing it complete! I'll have to talk to RHD about that driver... I just built a 2W,which is awesome... but the next step is 5+ for me as well. It will take time though. I'll want to do it right light you have done.

What kind of 18650s are those? Are they IMR?

Also, I noticed a puff of smoke come off your couch... oops! lol

You and I are well versed with eye protection, but for anyone wanting to follow your build log that is not well versed in eye protection, DON'T DO IT without getting edumacated on proper protection when using lasers! ...that way, when you burn your eye out or someone else's eyes, it's your own stupid fault and consequences will be well deserved.

Thanks for the nice words guys I am using 26650 batteries in here and they are just plain Lithium Ion Crapfires for now although I plan to get some high quality ones soon! As for talking to RHD I don't know if he would be up for it as he has mentioned he will not be selling any drivers, but he made this one for me as kind of a personal favor thing.

How are you planning on diffusing the laser within a blade?

I'm pretty sure he's not. It's just a laser in a lightsaber housing.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's not. It's just a laser in a lightsaber housing.
    Correct. His laser burns things well past the length of a lightsaber blade.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

think of it as a very long saber blade.... ?