Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My First Saber Build (Most original title here, amirite?)

So I had a thought... I've seen curved hilt builds, and that's actually my dream hilt. Is it possible to send in the curved parts (assuming I'm that crafty) to be tapped and threaded for MHS compatibility? Obviously, this is gonna require bending a main body, and even an extension or two to the correct angles, but I should be able to use a standard TCSS pommel and emitter if the threads can be tapped.

I've seen the threads all over that want curved hilts, but nothing that really says, "this is how it's done", so I feel like I've been given a whole new chance to build something even more unique than my original idea.

Drawing from the most obvious and available picture references of these styles of hilts, the emitter is generally straight, although short in some instances, and Count Dooku's hilt even had a straight area in the middle, perfect for fitting a board into. The wookieepedia entry even states that in general, the only functional curve in the hilt would be at the top, leaving me able to have a straight hilt at the bottom, also leaving the saber a little more usable for more combat forms than just the second, which is similar to fencing (which I participate in)

As I've terribly demonstrated in my MS Paint proof of concept, I'd really only have to fabricate very few parts

point 1 is where I've shown (well tried to, bare with me here) that I can straighten the curve at just then end so I can use a standard MHS emitter while still fitting the LED assy in it, which is followed by the curved area I'd have to fabricate, and point 2 is where I could possibly ask TCSS to mill off the main body I had planned to use and put a thread just after the final silver ring, requiring a straight .5" or so before the extension I have bent for me can actually form a curve. I have yet to see for myself how the LED fits into the emitter, but I also have seen some pretty wicked cram jobs while searching for how to build a crystal chamber (turned out ain't nobody got time fo' dat in my case), so I'm not too extremely worried with the electronics, just that the speaker can have room enough to amplify the sound.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Lord Agelastus; 07-22-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Sounds like you would want something like GCS's Badaxx sabers (which are curved hilts). I played with a prototype, and while it was OK, it's not my personal cup of tea. Tim would have to chime in on whether he would consider some type of curved part adapter.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yeah, I've not spoken to anyone, and I've just begun the planning stages of how I'd actually get this done, but even taking the main body to an outside shop and having the milling and threading done myself isn't unheard of, I would probably have to figure out the emitter though (assuming the machine shop or wherever can't match MHS threading) if I were to only use the bottom half of an MHS system, but like I said, not IMPOSSIBLE.

This is just something I thought of while starting to read some old republic era canon stuff, just finished the Darth Bane series actually. So really, I've not put much technical thinking into this, its just in the idea phase right not

also the Badaxx is a pretty cool looking saber! I'd only seen his bane saber, but its bend is not really where I'd have it, which is why the thought of making a custom saber appeals to me so much

Most likely, the hardest part would be getting the pipe "bent" without kinking. That's typically ben the biggest challenge.

You could ask Tim, I know curved parts / adapters have been discussed once or twice.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

You could source curved pipes elsewhere and use the mhs sinktube adapters. Thats how Madcow made the curved Bane hilt.