Thread: Using the Nano Biscotte and need help figuring some things out.

Default Using the Nano Biscotte and need help figuring some things out.

I am currently in the process of building my first saber. I originally was following Lord Dottore Matto's instructions on building a standard saber without sound but now I want to add sound.

I currently have these as my electronics:

Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module (Deep Red)
    BuckPuck 700mA 4-wire
    Push on/push off switch with black button (Latching)
    4AAA Battery Holder with JST connector

I want to add the Nano Biscotte to this setup but I have read on the forums that I would run into some problems.

1. I would need a resistor instead of a buckpuck.
    2. I would need a single cell 18650 Lithium battery instead of the 4 AAA batteries.
    3. I would need a momentary switch instead of the latching one I have.

This is my updated parts list for the changes I would need to make to my current electronics as well as the new parts geared for a saber with sound:

Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2
    MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers
    18650 Single Cell Holder
    TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery (2-pack) (I'm opting for non rechargeable because I don't have a hole for a recharge port.)
    Premium 28mm Speaker
    SPST Momentary switch with black button

My questions are:

1. What resistor would I need and how many of them?
    2. Is there a way I can make the momentary switch act like a latching switch? (I don't want to keep holding the button down while I'm swinging away.)
    3. Are these all of the components I will need for an led saber with sound setup? (Not talking about wire/jst connectors/heatshrink I can take care of that as needed.)

Thank you.

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

Li-ion batteries are rechargeable (whether or not you have a recharge port hooked up). So, you would need a charger (and maybe the appropriate JST adapter) if you choose to forego the recharge port.

To answer your questions: The NB is designed to work with a momentary switch. However, you won't need to hold it down ll the time like you are thinking you will. Ideally, you can use a 2 Ohm 1W resistor for a Red LED. You appear to have everything you really need to do this.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you.

So would this charger (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Tr...rger-P346.aspx) work with these batteries (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Tr...pack-P517.aspx) and those batteries have the correct amount of V and mAh for the NB and LED and everything?

And did you mean a 1 Ohm 2W resistor like this? (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1o...istor-P21.aspx) that is the only one I found in the TCSS store. Unless the 2 Ohm 1W resistor is something I will have to buy elsewhere?

Thanks for the help!

Those would work fine. I meant 2 Ohm 1W, you could probably get those at your local Radio Shack.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Sweet! Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradman9 View Post
    Yes, that would be fine.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Awesome that takes care of all my questions!

Thank you!