Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nervous noob--please quiet my fears.

Default Nervous noob--please quiet my fears.

Okay, so Tim is working on my first lightsaber. (*happy dance*) He asked where I wanted my blade retention hold drilled and tapped. After emailing back and forth a bit (Tim has the patience of a Jedi Master), I sent him this image (see below). My question is this: where does the heatsink/LED go and should I be worried about my battle blade falling out?

Thanks so much!

SaberBuilder_render_Heather_thumbscrew.jpg
    ~Ravenwood

The heat sink assembly sits directly behind the threads, with the lens section projecting up into the blade holder. It extends about 1/8" or so into the unthreaded area, so if you've told him to center it in that zone or generally in the front half of that area you'll be fine.

Thank you so much, amwolf!
    ~Ravenwood

like am wolf said, it looks fine, on a side note, thats a pretty fine design you've got there, can't wait to see it built
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler

The others are correct. Your blade won't fall out (as long as you tighten the screw when needed), but in general terms the closer to the emitter end, the better off you are. When you have slanted emitters, the "ideal spot" would be as close as you can to the front (emitter end) where you still have metal on all sides.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar-Gnar Gin View Post
    like am wolf said, it looks fine, on a side note, thats a pretty fine design you've got there, can't wait to see it built
    Thank you! I can't wait to see her built either.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    The others are correct. Your blade won't fall out (as long as you tighten the screw when needed), but in general terms the closer to the emitter end, the better off you are. When you have slanted emitters, the "ideal spot" would be as close as you can to the front (emitter end) where you still have metal on all sides.
    Thank you, FJK. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll be brave and drill and tap another hole one day on the top near the end if I end up having a problem with this one. I wanted the thumb screw to look more like a blade length adjustment knob than a blade retention screw, so I put it lower. I could have done one of the more invisible screws, but then I would have to carry a tool with me.
    ~Ravenwood

I get what you are trying to do. It should still work well where it is.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaraRavenwood View Post
    Okay, so Tim is working on my first lightsaber. (*happy dance*) He asked where I wanted my blade retention hold drilled and tapped. After emailing back and forth a bit (Tim has the patience of a Jedi Master), I sent him this image (see below). My question is this: where does the heatsink/LED go and should I be worried about my battle blade falling out?

Thanks so much!

SaberBuilder_render_Heather_thumbscrew.jpg
    While in the MHS builder turn on internal view and it shows the heatsink.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

My lightsaber is marked "delivered" when I look up the tracking information, but there is no lightsaber.
    ~Ravenwood

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Please take the tracking number, write it on a baseball bat, and head to your local post office... You are the second person today to contact me and say the package was marked as delivered but was not there.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop