Thread: opinions for part piece

Default opinions for part piece

I need some opinions for my next build. I finally have enough cash to start ordering stuff for a double bladed lightsaber and have been mulling over some plans for the build. What I need is some opinions for the center piece of the hilt. Attached is the build I'm looking to make but I'm not entirely sold on the center piece. j52.jpg this is the build I'm looking at so far. I've been trying to get better with my engravings and would like to think I've done fairly well with it so far. I want to keep the overall length of the hilt as close to 18 inches as possible. That total build came out to 18.5 so that's cool if it goes a little bit over. I plan on running dual petit croutons in the build. The thing I'm concerned about is how to best let the sound out of the hilt especially with 2 speakers in there. I've considered swapping out the center fluted piece for this piece here.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4-...oved-P454.aspx

I thought about possibly using those holes sort of like vents for the sound to escape the hilt. What I'm wondering is what folks thought about that idea and if anyone has better ideas for a center piece. This will be a battle saber that's going to see heavy use just as the other 2 I've built will. I planned on engraving along the centerpiece of the hilt horizontally. Does anyone have any thoughts about how to get the best sound quality from everything.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Assuming you've figured out your general innards layout...
    Another option, if you like the general look of the Double Female grooved part, would be to swap put the pieces between the extensions for one 7" DF, and then place the MHS Sleeve 1 (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...ve-1-P455.aspx) over it. You could then create whatever mounting screw pattern, etching, etc on the sleeve. Complicates the installation, however, because you'd loose all those potential unscrew points (also make it more durable by losing all those unscrew points). You could cut a big window below where the sleeve goes and with a few screws removed you get SD card access (or whatever). Or just drill holes below the sleeve; the sound will find a way out.

I've got a general idea of how i'm going to do the innards of the saber itself. I don't really care for the look of the 7" piece much since the saber wouldn't be symmetrical. I hadn't considered a sleeve but i'll keep that in mind as a backup plan. I don't really care about the holes being screw points as much as I do using them as holes for the sound to get out. How do you think it would work if I used the standard 4" version of that piece and then drilled a couple holes along the piece on opposing sides for the sound to get out? I hadn't noticed there was a standard version of that piece. I would only be going an inch and a half over my 18" length which I don't mind. Just wondering how you think that would work.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

There are several different ways you can do what you want. Mod a piece by drilling holes, you can even use a slitted chamber section. You can check with Tim to see that the screw holes are even from both ends.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com