Thread: First Saber. Help help!

Unhappy First Saber. Help help!

I purchased one of Madcow's Ascend stunt sabers with the hopes of upgrading it myself later on. I have finally started on the upgrade but I have run into a major problem. I wired everything together (apart from the LED, I'm waiting on a resistor in the mail) because I was anxious to see how the Nano Biscotte v2 sounded. Last night, after I finished, I kicked it on and everything was working perfectly! I was ecstatic! So I set it down and went to sleep. Here's where my problem is. Woke up, grabbed it, kicked it on, and nothing. No sound. Just this faint clicking noise. Fast-paced clicking. Changes in pitch when I hit the activation button. Also, as soon as it kicks on, the board starts heating up like crazy, almost too hot to touch. So I unplugged it from the battery immediately. Tried it again a little later and as soon as the connection is made to the battery the clicking starts. I am brand new to all of this so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the dumbest little thing but please help!

Nano Biscotte v2 sound board
    Momentary switch
    3.7v Li-ion rechargeable battery
    TCSS Premium Speaker

I used this as my wiring guide
    nb1.jpg

The only difference in my wiring is that I do not have an LED wired up yet. I just have an open wire running from the positive line. I've been thinking that maybe that is the problem, just having an open wire like that, but it was working last night when I first finished it. So I'm at a loss.

Also. Small question pertaining to the LED, by the way. 7.4 Li-ion battery with a Luxeon Rebel Star Royal Blue 940mW @ 700mA 3.2v - Run at 1000mA means that I should have a 4.7 ohm/4.7 watt resistor, correct? the closest thing that TCSS offers to that is the 4.7ohm/10 watt resistor. Would that work for this? Or, I also have a single cell TrustFire 18650 3.7v Li-ion battery that I could use instead. Which would mean I'd need a 1ohm/2 watt resistor, right? And TCSS has that one specifically so would that be safer?

I would check for a short somehwere. Make sure your open wire is covered on the end. See if you can get it to work outside the hilt (easier said than done, depending on how its installed).

your second question: "7.4 Li-ion battery ..." do not use that much voltage with an NB use the 3.7v

As Sevinzol said, you can only really use a 3.7V battery with the NB. A 7.4V battery pack can do damage to your board. You should be calculating resistors based on what you actually have and are using.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you guys for the replies. I am still waiting on parts in the mail so I will post my results once I have finished. I appreciate the help.