Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anakin rewire

Bullsnitz!

I have been running FX boards with 6 volt alkalines fine the whole time we have been doing this crap.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It may work but you are probably overdriving the LED. That is may work if you have a red/yellow, but otherwise on 4.5V the MR is putting out 920mA. Anymore than that is getting into the range you are hurting the LED.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Then we will obviously have to agree to disagree.

I build these stupid things on a regular basis. I also know there are others that do the same setup as I do. If it is driving at more then 900 all the better bud.
    When someone can prove to me that I am actually hurting something which is damn near impossible since no one is going to come to my house with the proper equipment and test my setup, I will go with something else but otherwise there will always be those that will stay with the same ole and then there will be those that are pushing it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Driving it harder is fine. Tim's heatsink and holders will take it. 1000mA is the max spec though. You are hurting the LED above that, it probably won't get noticed for a few years if nothing else happens to it. I don't need to prove it... You push more voltage through the board and you're let more current get to the LED. 1000mA is the published max.

James there is a difference between pushing it and being reckless. That is exactly why Tim put the warning when selling the boards.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I have to weigh in on X-wing's side (sorry James).
    I have no doubt that 6 volts (4 Alkaline AA, or AAA) would run that setup, but I would feel to risky about it, and I expect you'd shorten the life of the board, and maybe the LED too. The LED is getting almost 1000 mA from 4.5 volts it was designed for.

I reccomend either 3 AA/AAA = 4.5 vots or ...
    4 NIMH rechargeable AA/AAA = 4.8 volts.

MC

Thanks everyone for helping out, I got the whole setup working now. For the final installation im going to use a 4AAA battery holder with a skip wire so that it uses just 3AAA's.
    RED 7 Standing by...

Glad you have it all figured out there bob.