Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using TCSS Parts for Unusual Lightsaber Project. Some Questions

Default Using TCSS Parts for Unusual Lightsaber Project. Some Questions

Hey guys,

I am new here and am trying to figure a few things out.

1. Are all of the MHS parts finished the same way? Some look almost like brass in the pics and some look like plain aluminum. For my build to look coherent, which is necessary, I need everything to be the same finish.

2. Are all MHS parts machined to the same Internal Diameter? Many do not have any dimensions listed. I am not making a blade holding saber that runs off of AA batteries. I am making a high powered laser that will run off of two 26650 Lithium Ion batteries in series so I need to make sure everything is larger than or equal to 27mm in internal diameter.

3. Are all of the threads compatible. Obviously male to male isn't going to work, but are they all the same thread measurements?

4. If I were to buy the hard parts(I assume these are done via CNC) and send them to my machinist friend, would his parts to fill in the blanks match the look of the MHS parts. This goes back to the finish on the pieces.

5. Does anyone know of a good way to wrap a handle in leather? I want to make a unique looking Jedi saber that will be blue. For the hilt I want a white powdercoat and also a brown leather wrap grip. Not related to the other items but I figured you lot would know.

Thanks,
    Isaac

EDIT: Also, how do I ask that holes be drilled into my Blade Holder for the Bunny Ears?
    Last edited by IsaacT; 07-01-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Welcome to the Forums.

To answer your questions:

1. For the most part, yes. There may be some natural variations depending on the design, but they all mostly look alike.

2. Mostly yes, with a few exceptions, mainly choke pieces and ribbed pieces. The internal ID is typically 1.25". High powered laser? Sounds dangerous, how to you plan on controlling the beam?

3. Again, mainly yes.

4. His parts to fill in the blanks? Please elaborate on this.

5. There are probably a couple of different ways to do it. Feel free to look around, I'm sure someone may have covered working with leather.

6. You would need to send a message to Strydur, and discuss that with him.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

All MHS V1 have an outer diameter of 1.45". All double female, most adapters, and "main body" parts have an inner diameter of 1.25". Extensions that are ribbed, v-grooved, or double male parts have an inner diameter in 1.15"...that should meet of exceed your 27mm limitation. Reference the following link:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d-measurements

All the parts share a common thread pitch and screw together, and are made of aluminum (even though some of the pictures look like it's not aluminum). If a particular product isn't aluminum, it's labeled as such.

You can request drilling services by clicking on "services" on the side menu, then click misc, then choose drilling and tapping.

Spend some time looking through the forum, you will find several build logs that address some of your other concerns like leather wrapping.

Curious, which laser diode are you going to use? Are you putting it in a copper module for it?
    The MHS build would be a very ideal host for the laser. One giant heatsink!

If he's using a typical module, the lens simply screws inside that. All he needs to do is machine a good heatsink with a tight tolerance to the blade holder, maybe add a set screw to hold it in good.

I would imagine you know full well what you are doing with the high powered laser and that you need proper eye protection, but I had to say it.

I've spent a good part of the past few years on laserpointerforums building my own high powered lasers as well.

@Dethlore: You may remember my old username of "Wannaburnstuff". I spend too much time on there lol. I changed my name recently to IsaacT though as I felt my previous moniker was too childish. I will be using these parts:

NDB7A75 Nichia 3.5W Diode @ 445nm "blue"
    A Custom Current Driver made for me by RHD...I owe him big haha
    Lens will be a G-2 Single Element threaded into the copper module.

I am going to have my machinist make the mainbody, but will be sending him the following MHS parts:

1. MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 20
    2. MPS Pommel Style 4...This might not make it into the build but I want him to replicate it for the tailcap.
    3. MHS Choke Style 1

I am also buying the Graflex Replica bits to fill in the blade holder. Bunny Ears, Red Button, Glass Eye, and Short Pins.

I will be giving him a drawing/schematic for my desired mainbody and allow him to custom make it so that 2x 26650 batteries will fit with a contact board at the top.
    Then a simple yet bulker heatsink for the diode and driver in the top will be all that is necessary. I have a feeling one of the graflex parts will work as a set screw, if not he can drill one or have it attached to the mainbody.
    Also a simple sliding off/on switch with a nice cover and it should be revolutionarily awesome.

Sticky keys got turned on somehow so time to edit and add:

I have all of the appropriate safety gear. Quality laser safety glasses. I have wanted to make a lightsaber laser since 7th grade. The beam will not be limited, but I would rather have an infinite laser beam than a weird mirror apparatus sticking out of the hilt. I was having my machinist custom make an Obi-Wan ANH Replica Hilt but a small Lathe is not easy to machine grenade styles on. Maybe another day.
    Last edited by IsaacT; 07-01-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacT View Post
    @Dethlore: You may remember my old username of "Wannaburnstuff". I spend too much time on there lol. I changed my name recently to IsaacT though as I felt my previous moniker was too childish. I will be using these parts:

NDB7A75 Nichia 3.5W Diode @ 445nm "blue"
    A Custom Current Driver made for me by RHD...I owe him big haha
    Lens will be a G-2 Single Element threaded into the copper module.

I am going to have my machinist make the mainbody, but will be sending him the following MHS parts:

1. MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 20
    2. MPS Pommel Style 4...This might not make it into the build but I want him to replicate it for the tailcap.
    3. MHS Choke Style 1

I am also buying the Graflex Replica bits to fill in the blade holder. Bunny Ears, Red Button, Glass Eye, and Short Pins.

I will be giving him a drawing/schematic for my desired mainbody and allow him to custom make it so that 2x 26650 batteries will fit with a contact board at the top.
    Then a simple yet bulker heatsink for the diode and driver in the top will be all that is necessary. I have a feeling one of the graflex parts will work as a set screw, if not he can drill one or have it attached to the mainbody.
    Also a simple sliding off/on switch with a nice cover and it should be revolutionarily awesome.
    ooooooooooo K, yeah I remember you well. haha I actually have seen you on there as IsaacT recently too. Fun to see a familiar face
    That's a beast of a diode! hahaha I'm going to be building one of the 5W ones for a friend in a couple months... $350 for the diode. WOOO! I'm making him sign a waiver in case the diode pops on me!

I'd love to see some pics when you get this thing put together!

Yeah it is the same diode we are talking about. At 4.1A current(which is what RHD kindly whipped up for me) it should be doing over 5.5W. When I get it all done I will certainly post pics I am way too excited by it haha. I am having Ehgemus do the mainbody once I make up a hilt design. what is your username over there?

It's the same as here: Dethlore. I did the GITD Laser Shirts. I think you got some...

I remember being interested but I never jumped on them. Bummer. :/

Thank you all for the help! I placed the order...for too much money lol. But it will be worth it, this 600 dollar laser. Lol. Right?.....Damn.

In terms of leather, it is probably better to go trolling sword forgin sites as those tend to use leather far more often. You could do a couple things though. Stitch the ends together in a particular pattern which in my opinion is very difficult because leather is very tough to pierce with a needle or carefully use an epoxy.

http://www.sword-manufacturers-guide...word-hilt.html
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands