Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to get FOC without a sound board?

Default Is there a way to get FOC without a sound board?

Is there? I mean I know you can just get a sound board and not wire the speaker or even just turn down the volume but I was wondering if there was another way.

Not likely, as you would need sensors, etc. to detect the FoC.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yes, there are small drivers that can handle foc without sound, but they are not sold here yet, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Yes, there are small drivers that can handle foc without sound, but they are not sold here yet, unfortunately.
    Oh, those. You would need to go on FX for those.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If you want to be ambitious, you can build your own circuit. the clash sensor can turn on a transistor that turns on timer like IC that flashes the light a couple times.

The absolute most simple way to do this would be to run a clash sensor in parallel to your LED with a higher/lower value resistor. When the sensor detects a clash, power would be diverted down through the alternate resistor momentarily dimming or brightening the LED. With some discrete logic gates you could even have a momentary switch handle this for blaster bolt deflection... ect...

That is a good idea Bandit_Grey had. Maybe a transistor to handle the current, I'm not sure the simple clash sensors (just a flexible wire in a metal casing) could conduct the current used in some of the sabers, but for short bursts it could be just fine. Probably brightening the LED you meant bypassing (shorting) the serial resistor of the chosen LED, siubjecting it to full Vdd? It would also work, and even lower Vth LED's could overvoltage for a short time.

But, to be honest, although it's a nice challenge, for me personally a saber without sound is like one without a soul....and some of the sound board can be muted.

Thats a good point obi. Perhaps if you ran the "normal" brightness at a voltage that is a bit lower and the "flash" brightness at the recommended voltage you could get it to work. Adding a transistor to handle the current would be safer, with this I was just aiming for the cheapest and easiest solution, but if you burn out a 15 dollar LED on the first clash then its not really cheaper huh =D.

Maybe if you used an RGB led (or tri-rebel style led) instead you could have a slight color change happen by routing the battery power to different pins on the led via a clash sensor as opposed to different voltages on the led. Actually, thats probably how these manufactured boards handle it anyway. I haven't really looked to closely at them, but I would assume the cheap ones would just use discreet logic like that instead of a microcontroller to save money/space.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpreaches View Post
    Is there? I mean I know you can just get a sound board and not wire the speaker or even just turn down the volume but I was wondering if there was another way.
    You can get these LED Drivers

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Co...iver-P609.aspx

I've not used one of those myself, but I thought they supported FoC.

From the store page description:
    *optional* STAT and STAT- connect to clash sensor or separate switch to enable flash on clash
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!