Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Etching a chrome sink tube?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverDark View Post
    ...maybe if you clamped the piece and then used two hands you might have more control, but someone else will have to test it out.
    This, plus using a flexible shaft attachment with the Dremel, and you have a proper solution. Two hands on the Dremel can keep it under a lot more control. Also, patience and practice.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Hi Silver,

i have done a good amount of etching in my day on pretty much everything under the sun and it can be done on sink tube using a dremel no problem. Depending on how much detal really depends on how steady your hand is. When i started out all i used was engraving bits and the flexable dremel shaft. Best way about doing it is place clear tape over the tube, draw your stencil and go to town using a very fine bit. After you have the basic outline you can go back with a ball/rounded bit to cover large areas. I always keep the tape on until im done because you may run the risk of the chrome plating flaking off otherwise.

here is an idea of how detailed you can get on a project i did for a buddy of mine who was looking for a "presentation yoda blade". This guy is TINY!

1609555_10101676599064053_344055342_n (1).jpg

Here is just another example of what i explained above. This was my first try as i dont take many pictures.

1959546_10101679533633153_1580600691_n (1).jpg

If you try it and like it, id also suggest investing in a dential drill set. they run about 100 bucks for a cheap one overseas and work wonders.

hope that helped some! OH! and always wear goggles when you are engraving. nothing worse than running the risk of chrome dust in the eyes.

-Mark
    Last edited by ShogunLogan; 09-11-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks for that logan, at least I know its possible since my design changed completely since I made this thread I'm not gonna have a chance to work on it, but those were pretty impressive. I'll definitely use the tape and flexible shaft though. Thanks for the idea.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands