Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seem to have had a speaker fail on me...or is it something else?

Default Seem to have had a speaker fail on me...or is it something else?

I was altering the config files on the SD cards that came with my NB board, to make the two hilts a little more sensitive to swings.

One of the hilts stopped making sounds midway through testing after putting it back together. It worked fine for a bit, then would seemingly try to make a bit of noise, then nothing. I swapped the SD card into the other hilt, works like a charm. So does its original card.

Pulled the soundless hilt apart again, and checked the speaker connections to the NB board. Look fine. Popped out the speaker itself, it looks fine. No damage anywhere, no loose wires. Re-assembled it for one last test, now it doesn't even try to make sound. Nada.

LED works fine, turns on, flickers, turns off, etc. Should I order a new speaker, or is this problem deeper? Seems odd that it would work super one second, then just...crap out.

Thanks for any ideas!

If they are fully charged, it could be the speaker. I would make sure the batteries are fully charged first.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    If they are fully charged, it could be the speaker. I would make sure the batteries are fully charged first.
    Oh, yeah. Plenty o' juice. No problems there.

In a little bit of "everything going right for a change," it was just the speaker.

New ones (I got a couple extras) arrived from Tim yesterday, and I soldered one in today. Plenty'o'sound now. Yay!

Not sure what happened. Must have just gotten a faulty one. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Kagetora View Post
    In a little bit of "everything going right for a change," it was just the speaker.

New ones (I got a couple extras) arrived from Tim yesterday, and I soldered one in today. Plenty'o'sound now. Yay!

Not sure what happened. Must have just gotten a faulty one. *shrug*
    A long time ago, a previous version of those premium speakers use to go bad on a fairly regular basis, and then Tim replaced those with these current ones. Happy to hear that it's working now!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I am seeing the same issue on my saber. LED comes on and flickers as it should, but no sound. Does anyone know what the resistance of the Premium 28 mm speaker is?

The speakers in the store are 8ohm.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Mine just did the same thing. It was on, and the sound was running, then CCCFKKKK ...nothing. I fully charged it, but there is still no sound. I could find no loose connections. Is it possible that these newer speakers also go bad unexpectedly?
    Last edited by Baryonyx; 01-14-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Quick test to see if you have a blown premium speaker:

Turn your saber on (light but no sound right?), now gently place you fingertip on the black speaker surface and press gently. If sound comes back temporarily, you probably have a blown speaker.

If sound does not come back while pressure is applied, It could still be the speaker, or something else entirely.

Great tip! Unfortunately I already threw it out and soldered in a new one, and it's working fine. But I have a possible theory/concern: The speaker's back is very close to my recharge port. Is it possible that the close proximity to other magnetic materials is what killed the speaker? (Please say no!)