Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Custom MHS Saber

Default My Custom MHS Saber

Hi everyone,
    First off i'd like to apologise for starting a third thread about what will be my first saber, I don't know why I didn't merge the first two, but anyway i'll just let them die?
    I have a new custom design now which will include some shroud work:

Now I should be ordering parts by the end of the week, pending an ebay selling going well. I just wanted to make sure that I had everything for the hilt only at this stage.

So here are parts

-Hilt style 2
    -.75" Male / Female extension
    -MPS Pommel style 5
    -MHSV1 Blade Holder style 25
    -MPS insert style 13
    -MPS Clip
    -8-32 x 1/4" socket head (for covertec wheel)
    -Machinned button for covertec clip
    -8-32 x .3" anodized thumb screw (blade retention screw)
    -Shroud material will come from local supplier, I can get it cheaper than Tim's.

I'm pretty sure I'm only missing some little things, one thing I couldn't find was the c-clip for the pommel cap. I may ask Tim to machine the guarded switch hole and covertec wheel onto the hilt, I just need to know measurements first. I'm hoping the covertec wheel and blade retention screw will be enough to hold the shroud down. I won't be buying a switch yet to save on cost, I am thinking a16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Blue Dot Switch, but as this build will start as a stunt, I can't find the same switch as a latching?

A final note the covertec wheel will go just ahead of the pommel threading on the top of my image, so it holding the shroud. The blade retention will go somewhere along the BH to hold the shroud again on top of my render.

I have 3D renders to show the other sides of the saber, but I don't want to distract from the intended purpose of the thread right now, which is making sure I have what I need.

So yeah, do I have everything to build my hilt?
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by JMurphy; 06-10-2014 at 06:05 PM.

OK, I don't see a pommel insert or a C-Clip to hold it in place. Latching switches were discontinued. You can use the Pololu board http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Mo...-20V-P929.aspx to make the momentary switch act like a latching switch for a stunt setup.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

there are still LONG mom AV switches
    16mm-Anti-Vandal-Latching-Blue-Dot-Switch
    you might need a Bezel to account for the extra height

Quote Originally Posted by Sevinzol View Post
    there are still LONG mom AV switches
    16mm-Anti-Vandal-Latching-Blue-Dot-Switch
    you might need a Bezel to account for the extra height
    BUT, If you do decide to add sound later (especially using a Nano Biscotti), you WILL have to replace the latching switch.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    OK, I don't see a pommel insert or a C-Clip to hold it in place. Latching switches were discontinued. You can use the Pololu board http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Mo...-20V-P929.aspx to make the momentary switch act like a latching switch for a stunt setup.
    Is the chrome end cap not a pommel insert, I thought they were the same thing (I know now that they are not lol). And on the C-Clip I just kind find, not with the search bar at least. Thanks for the board link, have latching switches been dumped completely or just for this particular switch type?

I have added an end cap now.

A decision was made to discontinue stocking latching switches, because these days, stunt sabers are fairly rare, and all the sound boards TCSS carries accepts momentary switches. Plus the Pololu boards were stocked for the few who still wanted to make stunt sabers. Once the latching switches sell out, they won't be available here anymore, unless something drastic changes.

Here is the C-Clip: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MPS-Clip-P72.aspx
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    BUT, If you do decide to add sound later (especially using a Nano Biscotti), you WILL have to replace the latching switch.
    Yeah man definitely, so might just be better off using a momentary from the get go with the pololu board, then just remove the board so that same switch will work with a Nano?

Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy View Post
    Yeah man definitely, so might just be better off using a momentary from the get go with the pololu board, then just remove the board so that same switch will work with a Nano?
    Exactly.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

All to easy then :P Wanted to honestly keep away from longer switches, especially for internal spacing reasons, so i'm glad.

Well I added the C-clip as well, i'll leave the pololu board out for now because what i'll do is add that to a later list of electronics when the time comes. And I WON'T start another thread for that lol. i'll just add that here. Concentrating on the empty hilt for now

Thanks again FJK

No problem, I can always merge these threads if I find the need to.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines