Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Covertec & D-rings

Default Alternatives to Covertec & D-rings

Has anybody come up with alternative ways of carrying your sabers? I don't care for either the wheels or rings. I've thought about doing sleeve holsters or maybe magnets. Both have drawbacks.
    I figured the collective genius of the forums may have other ideas.

A couple of people have done holsters through the years. Personally, I tend to use the D-rings, and it makes for easier removal off of my belt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I've been wondering the same thing actually... Just ordered my blade and some sensors (to replace the stock Hasbro ones) and some switches... so I'm getting closer to being complete. Going to solder up my drivers this week and get the star mounted to a heat sink.

But how to mount? I'm not in love with the covertec, nor am I fond of the rings. Magnets would be pretty cool, but you'd have to shield the circuitry (easy, just have to keep that in mind when building the saber). I might have to browse the hardware store and play around with some pieces...

Actually you wouldn't need to shield the circuitry too much, micro SD isn't effected by magnets the same way computer magnetic drives are. The only magnetic concern would be the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    Actually you wouldn't need to shield the circuitry too much, micro SD isn't effected by magnets the same way computer magnetic drives are. The only magnetic concern would be the speaker.
    and even the speaker should be out of the way well enough, even with a strong N52 .5" x .2" round magnet.

The other drawback that I foresee is if that accidentally catches on anything or is wedged against anything (sitting down for example), it would fairly easily be knocked off.

EDIT: Just thought of something. Use a mag like this, and have something like a screw or cotter pin or something that you can slip on after the saber is connected in a 'more secure' mode when you're not walking around using it.
    Last edited by Dethlore; 06-09-2014 at 12:06 PM.

I was thinking of building a thigh holster that uses Maglite brackets to hold the saber. Rivet the clips onto a backplate, then attach the backplate to leather straps. Like Han's blaster holster.
    ML-AM2A496_xlarge_1287.jpg
    Sith Happens

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Obi Don View Post
    I was thinking of building a thigh holster that uses Maglite brackets to hold the saber. Rivet the clips onto a backplate, then attach the backplate to leather straps. Like Han's blaster holster.
    ML-AM2A496_xlarge_1287.jpg
    As long as the clips fit the hilt right, that's a great idea, thanks!

They come in C-cell , D-cell and AA sizes. You could also make your own out of metal bar stock wrapped around a metal bar or tube of the right diameter.
    Sith Happens

Still haven't settled on a method yet... that's a good method though.

I'm interested in if there are some other unique ideas out there.

I'm working on a hilt design without a d-ring or covertec and thinking to attach to my belt with an o-ring that fits around a recessed area in the pommel. I could imagine holsters, or straps working in a similar way.