Thread: Sound module gone a bit weird on Hasbro Force FX saber

Default Sound module gone a bit weird on Hasbro Force FX saber

Hi, the folks at FX Sabers pointed me this way.

The sound module on my Force FX sabre has gone weird. It's this one: https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e26d/ The Luke Skywalker Removable Blade from A New Hope.

The blade lights up fine and strong, the sounds have either failed or when they do make a noise squawk horribly.
    The battery connections are clean, the three pins which connect the unit to the hilt are straight and I can't see any issues, everything is screwed back in tightly once put together so I assume something is either corrupted or loose in the sound module.

How do I get the thing apart without breaking the entire thing (likely), so I can see if anything has come loose that I can fix. Failing that do Hasbro sell the battery/sound packs separately?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the Forums!

I believe this tutorial will help you out in taking it apart. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...kits-available
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Super, that's what I need. Hopefully it is just a loose connection I can probably fix that. I will report my findings when I find them
    Thanks!

My battery unit is different to that one and seems to be mostly glued down :[

It might be that the problem is not in the battery holder, which also houses the speaker. I do not own a Luke saber, but I have 2 another with removable blade. They have only 1 speaker Signal SPK- coming from the battery holder, along with the GND and Vdd (battery +), due to the fact that the audio driver is more or less a pull transistor and the SPK+ is the same as the Vdd (battery positive). If you take the hilt apart, following the tutorial, you will find the socket of the 3 pins going to the blade electronics. It could be that the problem is there.
    Question is: does the saber sound that weird since you bought it? Did you do anything which might have damaged it? Just some quick questions to try to figure out if the problem is in the inside of the hilt or the speaker?

Saber has been fine since I bought it.

It sat idle on a shelf, batteries in (but no leak or anything visible) for a number of months, I went to turn it on and it worked but was not the correct noises, they sounded like the batteries were dying, I replaced them but it basically did the same, except now there's no sound at all 99% of the time.

It's been on the shelf and not dropped, no injuries as far as I can tell.