Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FIBER OPTIC BLADE

Default FIBER OPTIC BLADE

What is a fiber optic blade

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you refer ot Ultra's blade... it's not fiber optics. His is is a film like many already posted about.

A real fiber optic blade would be like those found in the new tech section. Ones like sideglow cable and the like.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Default Ultra thinks otherwise it seems...

fiber optics
    n. (used with sing. verb)
    The science or technology of light transmission through very fine, flexible glass or plastic fibers.

The thermoplastic acetate used in my blades is made up of billions of microscopic fibers meshed into a film. A uniform film with no fibers will not light up (that's why mylar film must be etched with steel wool to produce a similar, yet inferior, effect). The material used in my blades is also made out of the same plastics that are used in side-emitting fiber optic cable. Therefore, I believe my blades do indeed qualify as fiber optic.
    I copied this quote from here:
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index...7393#msg107393

It seems like he has a valid point, IMHO.

-Kyp

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

And I would disagree... acetate is a uniform film. The effect is the same with any film.

Mylar works just as well in fact, ask Jonitus (I believe that's who's used it the most). Ultra said he picked acetate because it has less static... not any fiber optic quailties.

I prefer calling what it is... a film blade, not the buzz word he attaches to sell it.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

he he he.

i'm the one who made the original comment about the acetate thing in that thread Kyp
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

You are Aluke123?

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

yup. who are you elrond?
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

---REMOVED, cuz someone was curious and kept at it...

I'll make a new account soon when I have time away from the TCSS forum (my current primary forum).

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

BAH!!! Why are you guys cross posting my posts!

I don't appreciate it at all.

Ultra, I don't mean any offense by this. I prefer the UltraFilm name. To me it gives a fiber optic effect but really isn't fiber optics. I can picture some person thinking their blade could just be popped out and then used to transmit information or something.

My reaction when you first used "fiber optic" to describe the blade I was intrigued everyone who'd tried fiber optic cables said it sucked. Then I find out it's really a film... it was a disappointment to my expectations. Most use the connotation for the stuff like side glow cabling. That's why "fiber optic" is a buzz word to me.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

This is a fiber optic blade using side-emitting cable:

The same blade again:

Notice how it dims in the middle? That's because the Luxeon led just doesn't have the output to properly light the side-emitting fiber optic cable. It's designed to be lit with a 150 watt metal-halide lamp at either end of the cable, or looped back to the single light source. And most of the light transmitted through the cable still goes to the end, not out the side.

Here it is with a green K2:

If you look closely, you'll notice that the blade is translucent. It's green, but you can still see through it, it doesn't look like a solid "energy beam." It is also very heavy. So, unfortunately, what X-wing said about them sucking is dead on....Even so, I'd like to see one of the UltraBlades in person, I hear they are very good, and look like they have a pretty even light distribution, with little fade-out in the middle.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.