Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Battery question for PC

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    Huh, this notion/fear has been nagging at me for quite some time and now you helped me give it a name. I always wondered why my first custom saber with an NB had the same loadness as a Hasbro, and my saber with PC3.0 did not get louder. It stays to reason, that a 3.7V PWM signal will not have the same power as a 5V signal, so even if I cram in a 2W Speaker, possible only something slightly above 1W will come out.
    My only confort is, that all in all it's still quite loud how it is, it never fails to scare my wife if I ignite

By the way, does someone know what kind of speaker a Hasbro FX has? I know that Ultimates have 0.25W, but the FX's are significantly louder.
    One of the main pitfalls of the 3.7V "hack" is that the audio amp doesn't get all the juice it needs. I'm guessing some of you didn't know/ realize that. Every "savings" comes with a price, people - more runtime & some space saved, less sound.

Trust me, I had to think long and hard about this when using the "hacked" version for an upcoming build.

Besides, it's bad enough when Padawans try to blind themselves, even worse when they try to deafen themselves as well.

I have no idea what the Hasbro FX sabers use for speakers.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 06-04-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Good resonance is essential for getting performance out of your speaker. How you install the speaker in your hilt can make a bigger difference than the speaker you use.

If you've got some time to read, then I recommend going through this thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...s-hammered-out!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Wow, thanks Silver Serpent. I just started to read all that stuff but I already got some ideas for the next build.

Actually so far I did not so much study the interdependency of sound quality/loudness and the resonant chamber, I just took Erv's descrption from NB or PC and tried to have a pommel with grille and at least 1" from speaker front to the pommel grille. I did not consider the ro ombehind the speaker so far, although isolating it tightly might throw up some problems with all that other parts littering the inside of the hilt. Anyway, so far for the "home Entertainment" I'm quite satisfied with the sound. I was just wandering how come that a Hasbro has the same loudness (not the quality though) as an NB or PC. It became an even bigger mistery now after reading some of the entries in the link, because the removable blade Hasbros definitely do not have any room behind or in front of the speaker (behind is the battery holder and in front is open air), so I'm surprised they still sound remarkably well.