Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Deth's First PVC Saber Build - Custom Circuits

Love how this saber is progressing! Also, fantastic repurposing with the DVD laser optics. And weathering! I like how much character it gives the saber. Very cool!

Thanks everyone! I'm enjoying where this is going, and I'm glad you guys are too!
    I've just finished soldering my power meter. It's nowhere near as clean as the one for sale on TCSS, but ... I made this myself.
    power-meter_front.jpg
    power-meter_back.jpg
    power-meter_on.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TwinMill View Post
    Nice saber you have there. Small confession on my part... As much as I like the colorized version from these newest posts,
    I was also kinda really digging the 3rd image in post # 9. That white with black accents made the saber look like something
    I would expect to see hanging on a Storm Trooper's uniform. Also have to agree with setelf, the blade plug is awesome.
    I think a Storm Trooper saber should be done... Maybe I'll do another design for a trooper.

I like all the customizing on this. Truly making your own circuits. I agree and look forward to a Storm Trooper saber!!

I think a Storm Trooper saber should be done...
    Yes indeed, I think a Storm Trooper saber would be a super fun build! I've seen some around before, and there's even some cannon material to draw from in Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for episode IV.

Not like there aren't enough things on the saber to-do list

Good job on the power meter. One question: If you were already working with SMD LEDs, why didn't you also use SMD resistors? It's kinda wild and scary looking with the big resistors on it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Storm Trooper Saber.... added to list. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Good job on the power meter. One question: If you were already working with SMD LEDs, why didn't you also use SMD resistors? It's kinda wild and scary looking with the big resistors on it.
    HAHAHA yeah I know... it's hideous with those 1/4W metal oxide resistors... I actually did use an 0603 resistor on my timer, but the REAL reason is simply because I don't have the ohm values I used on the power meter in SMD type. As I'm sure you know too well... this won't be my last saber. Future designs, I probably will order a few SMD resistors for the power meter... nothing against buying one, it's just that I like to customize which color leds are on the power meter.

Thought I'd update everyone on the progress. I got the soldering bug again and am now super super close to finishing this beast. I just need that hot glue... wife took it out of town to make some Thanksgiving stuff with her family... stinker.

The Pommel: Premium Speaker from the store inside - sounds amazing. The cheapo hasbro Mace Windu sound board has been given a couple upgrades. New motion sensors (from the store) and a new big momentary switch, connected to my custom disc with voltage regulator, 555 timer, and fet for the 'pulsing' Deep Red Rebel which is on when power goes to the speaker (I didn't like the 3 flashes of the regular hasbro board). The blue disconnected wire will connect to the power meter and the other pin connector you see connects to an inner disc board that has the main power switch and power meter, as well as a couple wires that run up along the battery compartment to provide high power to the other 2 full-on Deep red Rebel LEDs. The forward disc has two fets that feed 600mA to two of the LEDs (these poor 18650s don't have enough oomph to supply a full 700 without a boost circuit, but at least I get longevity).

11252014.jpg
    11252014windu.jpg
    Last edited by Dethlore; 11-25-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks for detailing everthing! I want to make my own electronics too.

So far, in hind sight, I would have used a boost circuit to use just one cell and be able to drive the full 700mA on the leds. I also would have taken the time and spent the tiny extra money on quality 24awg stranded wires, extra and pre proven smd leds, and smd resistors. Oh yeah, a couple extra av switches in the right color. I actually blew out 2 of them, one might have already been bad.. The other was my own stupid self. Took one apart, got a new led in it, but it wouldn't work right after that...

It's been a real experience so far. I have some notes for my next build!