Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noob of the day requesting help

Default Noob of the day requesting help

I've spent the last couple days looking over what I could find and I've decided that this might be the setup I want. First, note that I'm not saying to use both green and red, just listing them as options. I'm trying to focus on getting the lighting electronics figured out before I go any further...

Nano Biscotte v2
    12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Green Ring Switch
    18 ohm / 1/4 W resistor

Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module (Green)
    1000 mw buck puck

Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module (Red)
    700 mw buck puck

Recharge port tbd
    Speaker tbd
    Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery

Here's the wiring diagram/calculations I made:
    wiring diagram.jpg

A few questions I have if anyone would be able to help me with
    1) Am I better off going with the buck pucks or finding resistors to suit my calculations?
    2) Are my calculations correct? / Will this all go poof as is?
    3) Do I have enough voltage for my chosen setup?
    Last edited by JediCarpet; 05-28-2014 at 04:21 AM.

1) The Puck Bucks will not work for those LED's, with the Battery you have selected. (minimum forward voltage requirements for the puck buck is > than the battery)
    AND
    2) You cannot use Puck Bucks with the Nano Biscotte. (The NB has a Voltage max that is less the the Voltage need by the puck buck)

Puck Bucks are used for "Stunt" builds (no sound), as they offer constant current (which means the blade won't dim as the battery drains, as it would with traditional resistors).

The sound board does not current regulate, so you would need to resistor those LEDs so you don't cook them.
    You could get away with not resistor-ing the green, by using that battery, and tweaking the NB settings, but a choice is to resistor as a safety measure.
    The red will HAVE to have a resistor, period.

Credit to FJK and SS for posting this answer so many time, even I memorized it!

I'll leave the wiring diagram review to the "experts".
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 05-28-2014 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks Kevin. I guess I just need my calculations and wiring checked. Having a hard time finding the right resistors based on my calculations, so I wonder if I got the voltages wrong.

Your calculations are correct, more or less. You will likely have to "round up" to get the resistors you need (and are commonly made). .5 Ohm 1/2W, 2 Ohm 1W, 18 Ohm 1/4W. Other than that, the diagram looks ok.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks, FJK. I'll see what I can do to find some. I'm just surprised that my calculations come up with something that isn't stocked here because I would think that most of us would come up with the same numbers for common configurations. So the best thing to do is round the numbers up to be safe? How high is too high a variance?

And the next challenge...get the Lithium battery into Canada...hmmm...

I basically gave you the resistors that you would need. Tim DOES carries 2 of the 3. The calculations themselves are one thing, what is commonly produced by manufacturers is another. While Tim tries to carry the common ones, things change, and it's not always easy or prudent to keep up, so... it is what it is.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I'm getting the tri-rebel GGW as a replacement for the green due to availability and I want to make sure this makes sense before I start wiring.

In this one I'm wondering if it is possible to wire all three LEDs as indicated for sheer brightness and a softer green. I've calculated a .2 ohm .2 w resistor requirement for the two greens, so I'm wondering if I can run them both off a single 0.5 ohm 0.5 watt resistor. Which will actually be two 1 ohm 1/4 watt resistors wired in parallel. The white will be on it's own pair of 1 ohm 1/4 watt resistors.
    GGWwiring1.jpg

Next is with the power extender thrown in for FoC. I read somewhere that you can run the positive line right off the battery (plus resistor) without having to go through the power extender and just run the blacks through the PX for the FoC.
    GGWwiring2.jpg

Thanks again for all your help

You really should use one resistor per dice. Buying a single resistor is far cheaper than buying a replacement LED when you blow it.

The PEX can be run with just the (-)'s and the FoC control wire.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Is there a thread on how to get batteries legally into Canada? Ive been looking for quite some time with no results ,

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRonin View Post
    Is there a thread on how to get batteries legally into Canada? Ive been looking for quite some time with no results ,
    Welcome to the Forums. You can just buy batteries in Canada. Google Li-ion batteries and Canada and I'm sure you'll find some suppliers.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines