Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another noob that needs help, sorry!

I have to agree with Forgetful Jedi Knight on the use of the EL blades versus the blades that use an LED in the base. I've been playing with the EL Blades very gently for years and they both still work. The main reason I started looking into building an LED blade (or two) is so I can have some fun dueling instead of worrying if I'm going to cause damage to a saber. If you are worried about brightness, you could try using a Tri-Rebel. They come in GGW and BBW, so you could easily run the two greens or blues in a series circuit as each user had mentioned in the reviews. Wiring them on a parallel circuit will produce a brighter light, but will also drain the battery quicker. You could even see if there are Tri-Rebels with three of the same color available if you want to go for an over the top brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti115 View Post
    If you are worried about brightness, you could try using a Tri-Rebel. They come in GGW and BBW, so you could easily run the two greens or blues in a series circuit as each user had mentioned in the reviews. Wiring them on a parallel circuit will produce a brighter light, but will also drain the battery quicker. You could even see if there are Tri-Rebels with three of the same color available if you want to go for an over the top brightness.
    *FJK inserts the legalese here*: The above statements GREATLY depends on what battery solution as well as what sound card you plan on using to run your saber. Limitations will probably apply. Your mileage may vary. Any visual impairments are the sole responsibility of the saber builder/user.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    *FJK inserts the legalese here*: The above statements GREATLY depends on what battery solution as well as what sound card you plan on using to run your saber. Limitations will probably apply. Your mileage may vary. Any visual impairments are the sole responsibility of the saber builder/user.
    Very good points. Mind if I use that as my signature?

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti115 View Post
    Very good points. Mind if I use that as my signature?
    Sure, It would't be the first time that I've wound up in someone else's signature.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Alright, that makes sense!

My next question is in order to run one of those LEDs, a clash sensor, swing sensor, a second led if I wanted to get crazy and have a lit crystal, a driver, speaker, and Petit Crouton (am I forgetting anything else?) what would the power requirements be? How can I get the most bang for my buck and have an adequately bright, even saber, and have a battery that will last at least a few hours? I say at least a few hours because I have no idea what the standard for battery life is.

Quote Originally Posted by VibeKnight2012 View Post
    Alright, that makes sense!

My next question is in order to run one of those LEDs, a clash sensor, swing sensor, a second led if I wanted to get crazy and have a lit crystal, a driver, speaker, and Petit Crouton (am I forgetting anything else?) what would the power requirements be? How can I get the most bang for my buck and have an adequately bright, even saber, and have a battery that will last at least a few hours? I say at least a few hours because I have no idea what the standard for battery life is.
    Sounds like it's time for someone to do some research. Why don't you go through the Petit Crouton manual (it's in the store, with the board). In the manual you will find all kinds of fun facts - like that the swing and clash sensor are already part of the board, and that it supports a couple of accent LEDs and such, and what it needs to power it.

Your runtime will depend on what you ultimately decide on as far as battery solution go (which also can mean what battery pack can you actually cram into your design). Typically the maximum run time for a multi-die setup can be up to 75-90 minutes - and usually it's quite a bit less.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Will do. Thank you so much for your help!