Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another noob that needs help, sorry!

Exclamation Another noob that needs help, sorry!

Hey everyone,

Ok, building a lightsaber has always been an interest of mine, but it wasn't until recently that I knew all of this was possible.

I have been doing lots of research and I know most of the stuff I need, but some stuff easily escapes my understanding.

I discovered Sloth Furnace and decided, though it would be challenging, I would like to try to make a blade like his. What I'm really unsure about are the power requirements for 90 LEDS that have 25,000mcd, with a forward voltage of 3.2V and a max of 3.6V. What is the best set up? Any specific batteries?

Also, has anyone had any luck finding 3/4" OD x 1/2" ID polycarbonate tube and diffuser? I have found 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID, and 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID PC tubes. My first thought with those are to sand the 5/8" OD tube so it acts as a diffuser and is just thin enough to fit into the 3/4" OD tube. But I am worried the LEDs will have little to no protection during a duel. Has anyone tried this?

Also, because of the kind of LED set up I want to try, I thought it would be easiest to set up a 1/4" socket like what TCSS's recharge port to provide power to the LEDs. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Have you got a link to Slothfurnace's build?

I think you're talking about outdated lightsaber technology. Lightsabers use to have LEDs in the blade but now they have high powered LED modules in the blade holder.

Here's the link! http://www.slothfurnace.com/index.html

The link to the specific project is here. http://www.slothfurnace.com/sabers/ROTJLuke_01.html

Well, he just completed the project I'm talking about last December. The only reason I want to do this is because I see how dim the tips of the blades are in the pictures on the website.
    Last edited by VibeKnight2012; 05-27-2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: left out a word

I lied! Unknowingly, however. The build was finished in December 2010, three and a half years ago.

To anyone interested in this process, this is something I found.

http://www.thejediassembly.com/tutorials.php?id=y45

First off, Welcome to the Forums!

OK, to answer your question, Slothfurnace's builds are not using "old" technology at all, per se, they are an alternative to the standard shine up LED's we use today. Builds like those are not easy to do at all, and he uses the LS version of the Crystal Focus board for them. LED strings blades are basically for SHOW, not dueling. He is working on a couple of LED string blade projects as we speak.

From reading your post, if you plan in using the saber for dueling at all, I suggest you just use a standard LED build and when it comes to the blade, you can get the tip to light up well, IF you do it properly.

"EL technology" is old by today's standards, the store use to have an EL section, but because it was rarely used anymore, I think almost everything was discontinued a while back.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

That makes sense. If I were to use a standard LED build, what is the proper way to set it up so that the tip lights up well?

What if I took an extremely bright 5mm round top LED and mounted that much in the same way as the Luxeon LED? Something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/121335737774...84.m1423.l2649 - a 25-28,000mcd LED. That way it would be more resistant in a duel, but maybe brighter than the alternative?

Thanks for you help, by the way. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by VibeKnight2012 View Post
    That makes sense. If I were to use a standard LED build, what is the proper way to set it up so that the tip lights up well?

What if I took an extremely bright 5mm round top LED and mounted that much in the same way as the Luxeon LED? Something like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/121335737774...84.m1423.l2649 - a 25-28,000mcd LED. That way it would be more resistant in a duel, but maybe brighter than the alternative?

Thanks for you help, by the way. I really appreciate it!
    First of all, a standard build would use something like Tri-Rebel would be bright enough. You'll find that the 2 green dice of a Tri-Rebel GGW will be quite bright. Also the optics play a role in how things turn out.

One of the "secrets" of blades is in the actual blade construction and how you deal with the tip. The main reason why the tips don't light up well, is that most people don't modify the mirrored disk at the tip (which reflects the light back down to make for a more even blade).
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 05-27-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Ok, so the secret is using a mirrored disc. Hopefully this doesn't come across as negative or rude in this limited form of communication, but that sounds pretty simple. Do you have any pictures of the results this method wields? Sorry to be so naggy, I just want to make sure I do the best job I can!

You can look at my Apex and Illustrious builds. I'm sure there are hundreds of other builds in the gallery you could look at.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines