Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5w breakthrough?

Default 5w breakthrough?

Hey guys, I've made a discovery that may facilitate the use of 5w LEDS in the standard size saber.

I'm a computer repair tech, and last week I found a part. A Sunon laptop fan, 2cm square and one cm thick. It's a 5V, .3W three pin model that could conceivably be incorporated into a next-gen driver board. Now I need someone to machine a heatsink with dispersal fins and screw points for this bad boy...

What is life but the passage to death?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Others have proven that a 5W can be run with the standard holder and adapter... same with the MHS system.

I'd still like to see it as it may be a really neat option. If it can handle some stress of moving it may be good for even higher wattages.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

and the fan could possibly add more cool sound effect.
    {[[[(((o))EE[/==============

It's a laptop-rated fan, which means it can handle movement, and the frame around the fan assembly has mount points for screws, so it can be securely fastened. My main concern at this point is finding a working (!) plug to match it so I can get the wire voltages. I'm pretty sure they're 5,3 and ground, (it's a yellow/black/red code schema)

Sunon also makes a 17mm fan, which fits much better into an MHS. I have one that I put that fan in. I posted about it a while ago, while I was sketching it out.

Sunon is also developing a blower in that same size range, and that would be the ideal solution for inside an MHS.

Whichever you get, be sure to get their vapor-bearing system. No micro-bearings to worry about breaking while dueling.

You don't happen to have a link to a wiring guide resource for these little guys, do you?

The Sunon 17mm is a 5v only application. The lager fan (20mm and above) have some variance.

Here's the wiring diagram I used for the one with the 17mm 5v fan:

Note that I used a voltage regulator instead of a resistor, and am running at 5v across the project, not 4.5, as indicated.

I reccomend the 17mm because it fits into the MHS with only minor trimming of the corners. Besure to vent the saber to allow for air flow, and to keep the voltage regulator and it's heatsink downwind of the fan, so it gets cooled as well.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think he means something that will tell him which wire is which coming out of the fan.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

True: There's three wires in the set, red yellow and black. Black I presume to be common ground and the other two are hot voltages.

Dang! Am I the only one 'round here that just goes for it?

Take a single 1.5 volt battery apply power to it If that don't do it use two.

I still do not understand the fascination with the fans. Are you guys planning on drilling holes all over the place to actually make air movement?

Total overkill if you ask me.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"