Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NB 2amp output

Default NB 2amp output

The NB has 2 Amp output but also no real drive regulator?
    If I have a battery that has 3400 mAh ,is the led getting just the 2 Amps or is it getting 3400mAh.?

Also same with batteries with lower current ratings . If a battery has only 1 1000mAh will the led get just 1 amp?

A 1000mAh will discharge a little over 1A, the 3400 can discharge around 3A. The NB typically "takes" up to a 2A draw from the battery and passes it on to the LEDs.

mAh, is a measurement of current over time milliAmphours. So in theory, if you have a 3400mAh battery, and are giving a LED 1A, the battery charge should last 3.4 hours.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 04-28-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    A 1000mAh will discharge a little over 1A, the 3400 can discharge around 3A. The NB typically "takes" up to a 2A draw from the battery and passes it on to the LEDs.

mAh, is a measurement of current over time milliAmphours. So in theory, if you have a 3400mAh battery, and are giving a LED 1A, the battery charge should last 3.4 hours.
    ...so if it typically takes 2 amps and gives it to the led. its going to give 2 amps to the led no matter how high the battery's mAh are?

if I have a 4000 mAh battery I would theoretically last 2 hours with the nano pushing out 2amps to the led?.... its not going to push out 4amps to the led for 1 hour right?

That's correct, more or less. The LED will take the current it needs. If it only needs 1A, that's what it'll take. The Nano isn't "pushing" the current, more like allowing the LED to pull that much. Your 4000mAh example battery would last 4 hours if you were only drawing 1A.

A general rule of thumb is that your maximum safe discharge rate for a li-ion battery is roughly twice the capacity. A 4000mAh battery can typically support a 8000mA (8A) discharge without risking damage to the cell. The battery doesn't necessarily discharge at its maximum rate all the time, but it's good to know how high you can go safely.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Ah but the nano will only allow up to 2 amps to be taken from the battery to the led even if the led wants or needs more than 2 amps?

The NB won't prevent more than 2A from being taken. But it's my understanding that if you run more than that, you start running the risk of overheating and damaging the NB.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    The NB won't prevent more than 2A from being taken. But it's my understanding that if you run more than that, you start running the risk of overheating and damaging the NB.
    The "safety margin" is fairly substantial.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Well Im just wanting to know my options. Like I know some tri-rebels and tri-crees each dice can take up to 1amp so wired in parallel i would need 3 amps total. Same with a quad. that would be 4 amps total. How far is the safety margin willing to go ?

Also would my battery have to be the same or greater than the current required front the led right?

Let's back up a second, NB's are an "entry level" board. Originally, they were designed for a single LED in mind. Now, three die setups can be handled (2 main, 1 FoC) with an 18650, which is still very bright. This is not an "I can light up a small city" with this board.

I would strongly recommend that if you are going to use an NB, you stick to using three die setups. Anything past that you risk damaging your board, and there is no guarantee that your battery will pump out that kind of current anyway. Also make sure you use the proper resistors.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

HAHAH! a small city that cracked my up .
    but ok I won't go past a tri then. But would you say up to 3 amps going thorough the board is acceptable ?
    I would think at least 2100millamps has got to be ok tho right?