Thread: Saber Construction (Jedi Youngling Requesting Advice!)

Default Saber Construction (Jedi Youngling Requesting Advice!)

Hello Saber Forum! I am a new person when it comes to saber building, so please BARE WITH ME! I am a HUGE Star Wars fan! I love to collect anything to do with the Star Wars (action figures, books, vintage sabers e.c.t) and this is my first thread . In a few weeks I will be ordering my FIRST custom saber off the Custom Saber Shop, so just to make sure I am posting my parts list so I don't double up or forget any important electronic piece of equipment before I make an order. First of all, here's the Saber picture:

Luke Skywalker Test 5.jpg

I tried to model it off Luke's Saber in ROTJ so it is not a very original saber design, but I kinda felt like anything else done by me just wouldn't feel like a real saber.

Here is the list of parts:

MPS Pommel Style 3 v2
    4 inches double female thread connector
    Activation box Style 7(I have heard that this part is not very handy for slotting in auxiliary buttons as well as main activation switches, but I am going to try installing my auxiliary button to the SIDE of my box instead to give it a more of the movie look to it (and give me the freedom of more space).
    I should be able to salvage both buttons anyway
    LED Blade holder Style 5
    MHS Choke Style 2
    MHS Ribbed Extension

(To give it a more 'Luke Skywalker' look to it, I didn't use a ribbed choke combo, partly because I wanted a different colour for the choke and also because it would give me more freedom to install the electronics later (though this may not make it as robust as it would with a combo).

MWS Recharge Port
    MHS Speaker Mount for 25 mm speakers
    USB to 3.5 mm R.I.C.E cable
    3.5 mm R.I.C.E port style 2
    Premium 2.8 mm speaker
    Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star
    ? D-Ring (I will modify this by removing the D-Ring from its connector and install it in one of the squares in my pommel.)
    Battery Holder (Can salvage )
    Standard Saber Blade
    Wiring (Can also salvage)
    And (hopefully) a Crystal Focus Sound Board v7
    (Only the best sound board will do for the best saber shop online!)
    I will try my best to purchase one, as I have heard they are very difficult to purchase (this is where the Jedi Mind Tricks come in handy!)

Anything else (or anything I need to replace, or is not compatible with my sound board?)

Cheers Saber Forum!
    Darth Kybuck
    (the Jedi Youngling)
    Last edited by Darth Kybuck; 04-22-2014 at 02:32 AM.

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

Regarding your parts list, I don't see a main activation switch. I also don't see a pommel insert or a c-clip to hold it in place. I also don't see any blade retention screw or the drill and tap service for that. You will also need some type of chassis to keep all that in place. I also don't see a heat sink for the main LED (you order it with the blade holder).

I also see you mentioning that you are salvaging things, what are you salvaging them from?

Also, I see you want to start out using a CFv7. Unless you have some experience, I would strongly recommend starting off with a mid range board. A PCv3 might be a good place to start.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 04-21-2014 at 07:55 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks Forgetful Jedi Knight! I really must be a Jedi Initiate to have not included any of those electronics! Regarding the salvaging , I have many pieces of old technology lying around in my garage gathering dust (computers, televisions, sub-woofers, plus a whole load of miscellaneous junk), so I want to try and use the wires out of some of those IF that is possible. For my main activation switch I have a Hasbro Lightsaber that has virtually the same box switch as the one I am ordering, so I am going to take it apart and install it into my new saber, which I will then cover over with a powder coated piece of metal, which will serve to replicate Luke's saber activation panel. Hopefully this will hide the fact I've actually used a $30 light up toy!

Alright! Pommel insert, c-clip, blade retention screw, heat sink, check! In response to my sound board (for a young ling) I do think I am really getting a head of myself!
    Two questions, is the blade retention screw JUST THAT, a screw, or is there more to it than that?
    Also, the chassis. Can you by those of the Custom Saber Shop website or are we expected to hand craft them?
    Cheers!
    Darth Kybuck (the Jedi Youngling)
    If all else fails I can always go to garage sales or road side collections to pick up some of my stuff.

You will find that you need very small gauge wire (22-28 AWG) to wire these up. Also, trying to do box switch installations isn't that easy, you may find it harder than you think.

Yes, the blade retentions screw is a screw that holds the blade in place, so it doesn't go flying when you swing your saber. You can look through the gallery and see what they look like. You may find it's easier for you to buy everything you need and once you get one under your belt, you can try using scrap stuff for your second saber. That can be fun (sometimes).

You can buy chassis parts in the MHS section in the store, there is a whole section devoted to those disks and odds and ends. Seek and find it you shall.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 04-21-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Just a few quick questions, Forgetful Jedi Knight!
    First: If I'm looking at a Petite Crouton Sound Board that can change the saber colour (together with the tri rebel star) what heat sink do I get? A coloured one?
    Second: Is it possible to install an activation box IN the activation box style 7?

Cheers,
    Darth Kybuck
    (the Jedi Youngling)

Heat sinks only come in one color, copper. Version 3 or 4 should be fine for you.

i don't see an activation box style 7 in the store. With that said the answer is probably not.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines