Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Petit Crouton v3 with 10w led engine color mixing.

Default Petit Crouton v3 with 10w led engine color mixing.

Hi guys. I'm jumping into building a saber with both feet, and a have a couple of questions. One, with a 7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 power source, and using the color extender board for the petit crouton, will I need resistors for the LED? What is the default output voltage on the main LED channels on the petit crouton?(So I can find the correct resistors) And does anyone have a map of which pads correspond to which color on the LED?

Thank you in advance.

First, Welcome to the Forums.

No, the PC and the CeX will handle the voltage regulation for you. The voltages are auto sensed by the boards.

You would have to test the individual LED's to figure out which is which. if you have a bench PSU, it's easy enough to do. If you don't, get a 2 AA battery holder and put in 2 AA batteries (not rechargeable) and then test out each set of pads. Touching the wires for a second will help you figure out which LED is which.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

No resistors needed, all three channels have voltage regulators. You will need to set the current in the config file or in RICE, but voltage is chosen by the regulators. (This only applies to the main high-power LED dice, not the accent LEDS... they will still need a resistor.) As for the color channel pads, I believe you can set them in the config/RICE to whichever order you wire them (i.e. RGB, RBG, BRG, BGR, GRB, or GBR). Check out pages 30 and 42 in the PC3 manual for more info.

Good luck!

EDIT: FJK beat to the punch, with more great info! As for checking the die color, you can also use the continuity setting on your multimeter and touch the + and - pads with your leads. Just enough current to barely light the die, but enough to see color (at least on P4s and TriRebels...).
    Last edited by TrypWyr; 04-15-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrypWyr View Post
    No resistors needed, all three channels have voltage regulators. You will need to set the current in the config file or in RICE, but voltage is chosen by the regulators. (This only applies to the main high-power LED dice, not the accent LEDS... they will still need a resistor.) As for the color channel pads, I believe you can set them in the config/RICE to whichever order you wire them (i.e. RGB, RBG, BRG, BGR, GRB, or GBR). Check out pages 30 and 42 in the PC3 manual for more info.
    Don't always assume that people will be using R.I.C.E. especially if they are doing their very first build.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a multimeter at least, so I'll try that. I'm still in the planning and money saving stage, so it'll be a while till I can show this saber off. Will be back if I have any more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Don't always assume that people will be using R.I.C.E. especially if they are doing their very first build.
    I'm planning on using R.I.C.E. I want to dismantle the saber as little as possible once complete.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    I'm planning on using R.I.C.E. I want to dismantle the saber as little as possible once complete.
    Highly recommended... if you are comfortable enough to do a full PC3 with CEx, RICE is a very small part to add for great (and FUN!) gain. Just be sure that you are up to the challenge for this as a first build, it can be quite daunting at first (speaking from experience...).

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    You have a whole lot of reading ahead of you.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by TrypWyr View Post
    Highly recommended... if you are comfortable enough to do a full PC3 with CEx, RICE is a very small part to add for great (and FUN!) gain. Just be sure that you are up to the challenge for this as a first build, it can be quite daunting at first (speaking from experience...).

You have a whole lot of reading ahead of you.
    I have past experience on working with soldering on printed circuit boards (Robotics, LED game controller lighting, etc.). Needed a new project for the summer and this seemed like a good fit.

JFK, can the LED testing be done with a AAA battery? I remember identifying LED colors when doing my first saber with a AA and nearly going blind when the first one lit up. If not, RavenXP, you should put a couple of paper towels over the top when you test or something. Then you'll get the color, but not the eye damage.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)