Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NB problem

Default NB problem

So I have a NBv1 inside a graflex, secured in a chassis. It worked fine for months, now it's developed a problem. Everything seems to work fine for about 2 seconds after it's ignited, then the card reboots. The saber shuts off and the card plays the boot sound again. For those 2 seconds, everything is working, sound, accent leds, main led, sensors, ect. I'm traveling and don't have the tools to open it up and look at the NB to see if there's any obvious damage. I haven't dueled with it or dropped it or done anything else that would cause direct damage. Also, it's fully charged. Anyone have any ideas?
    D

Is the card secured? Either that or you have an intermittent short somewhere.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The card is secure, in a chassis disk. I also reformatted the SD card and the problem remains. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can pull it apart and find the short.
    D

I had a similar problem with the PC 2.0, where I would activate the saber, it would hum for 2 seconds, then it would turn off (even thought the switch was in the "on" position) and play the boot sound. It would continue to do this until I deactivated the saber by pressing the main activation switch. This problem has a very long history with me, which I will now briefly lay out for you in case any of my problems are your problem. The problem was first due to the fact that the main configuration file that had come with the PC 2.0 stopped working for some unknown reason. I still had a copy of the main configuration file from the PC 1.5 (may have been 1.2), so I used that and the problem stopped. Unfortunately, I never found out why the configuration file for the PC 2.0 didn't function properly.
    The problem arose again, but this time it was due to the fact that my sounds were in the wrong format (I was making a custom sound font) and the SD card was formatted incorrectly. This problem was easily fixed by simply changing the formatting.
    The third time the problem happened, it was simply an issue of a low battery, that was easily resolved by charging your saber. (although you did say your saber is fully charged.)

For now, because you cannot access the NB, I would recommend that you double check everything.
    • Make sure the card is formatted correctly again. (it honestly cannot hurt to double check)
    • Make sure the card is secured properly again
    • Plug the SD card into your computer and try resetting the configuration file to its default settings. Once you have restored it to its default settings, try it in the saber. If the problem is fixed, it means that there was something wrong with the config file. (make sure you save a copy of of the current configuration file first)
    • If the problem is caused by the config file, and it stops when you return the config file to its default settings, you can begin to adjust the settings as you like, just make sure you don't have any typos, and that it does not match your original config file (the problem causer)
    • Try reformatting the SD card again, just to be sure.

If you don't have a copy of the original config file, you can email Tim and he will probably send you one. Or you can PM me and I'll send you a copy. ( I have it from Tim when I had my problem) If none of my suggestions are the cause of your problem and/ or fix your problem, then it probably is as Forgetful Jedi Knight predicted and you have a short somewhere. I would also check for any crossed wires, although normally crossed wires prevent the saber from working at all, but it is a good idea to cover all your bases. That is all I can think of that might be helpful. Sorry this reply turned out to be much longer than I meant it to. Hope some of this helps. Hope your problem is quickly resolved. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll try all that. I was able to open the saber and examine the electronics. No visible damage, exposed wires, or any obvious shorts. The SD card is firmly set and seems fine. I'll try reformatting it again and using the original config files that came with it.

I'm not able to turn it off when it shuts down, it just powers down and plays the boot sound. If I hit the switch again after that it ignites, stays on for two seconds, then repeats. One of the times I left it off it just made a light clicking sound every second or so. I could hear it in the speaker. I put in the kill key and it stopped.

I'll definitely try the SD card options before deconstructing the chassis and rewiring it.

Thanks guys.
    D

Hmm now it does nothing when the kill key is removed. The charger says its full. Maybe the battery is bad.
    D

Use a meter to check the battery to make sure its charged, what your describing sounds an awful lot like a low and now depleted battery.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

It was depleted, 3.6 v on the meter. Charged it for a while and its turning on again. Still reboots after 2 seconds though. And the tennergy charger still says its full. I'll charge it fully and see what happens.
    D

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Sounds like a bad PCB on that battery pack to me.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

So the battery has been charging for a good four hours and should be as full as it's gonna get. the saber turns on normally, runs anywhere from a few seconds to a minute, but eventually reboots like before. Sounds like I should just replace the battery.
    D