Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NBV2 Swing sound repeats over and over

Default NBV2 Swing sound repeats over and over

Just got a Nano Biscotte v2 for my hilt, wired it up, everything is working great, but the swing sounds keep playing repeatedly. I disconnected power, backed up the card (ctrl+c/ctrl+v), formatted, and copied the files back over (ctrl+c/ctrl+v), replaced the card in the board, connected power, removed kill-key, powered up, and the swing sound repeats over and over with the hum. I can get a clash sound, which overrides the hum+swing combo, but it goes back to hum+swing.

I'm using 3xAAA in a 4xAAA holder with a dummy cell (until I can order some li-ions), with an LED string blade resisted and a custom momentary button. I can upload pics of my wiring if you like. The board is positioned mid-hilt, with the 20mm prem speaker (from the Shop) in the pommel, and I had heat shrink tube/wrap over the board so it wouldn't contact with anything until I could make a PVC holder for it, which I removed for troubleshooting just now with no difference. I can open the hilt, expose the board, and it will play the swing sounds repeatedly sitting on the table. Only thing I can think of is maybe vibrations from the speaker or a bad swing sensor on the board.

Any ideas guys?

Try adjusting your swing settings so the swings aren't so sensitive (ls) and also maybe play with the overall sensitivity (i) setting and make it lower. Welcome to saber tuning.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you for your reply.

I dropped the (i) down to 43 from 53, and the (ls) to 60 from 50. Swing is set at 300 from 200. I get power on, hum for a few seconds, then it starts repeating swing sounds. Second attempt, I dropped the (i) from 43 to 38, the (ls) from 60 to 70, and (swing) from 300 to 200. Power on, hum for 1 second then repeated swing sounds.

Let me see if I get this right. (i) being general sensitivity, if I use a lower value, it decreases the overall general sensitivity. Whereas, (ls) is the "low swing" value and increasing the value will decrease the sensitivity. Yes? Or have I got the latter backward and it is the same (higher value=higher sensitivity) as (i)?

Edit2: Well, there's no repeating swing sound, but now I have no swing sensitivity. lol Oi ... back to tweaking.

Edit1: I think I got it, seeing as the swing sounds stopped repeating. Am I right in thinking these boards all have their own personalities and need to be tweaked on an individual basis with no two boards using the exact same settings for the same results, or is this abnormal? And just for reference, my settings that seem to be working (as I type this) are as follows:

//Nano Biscotte Dark Meat
    vol=4
    drive=1023
    fdrive=1023
    offd=200
    deep=15000
    resume=0
    lc=450
    hs=320
    ls=100
    i=30
    shmrd=210
    shmrp=6
    shmrr=13
    focd=200
    focp=10
    focr=10
    swing=200
    clash=100
    qon=0
    qoff=0
    flks=10
    flkd=35
    Last edited by BigT_SOTF; 04-02-2014 at 10:13 PM.

I've played with the (i) and (ls) values, trying to find a happy median. Even with (i) = 45 and (ls) = 100, I get repeating swing sounds and poor swing sensitivity (latter is expected), or it will trigger a swing sound sitting still and not being moved. I could do away with swing sounds all together by kicking the (ls) value up, but this kind of defies the purpose of having swing sounds.

Current values:

//Nano Biscotte Dark Meat
    vol=4
    drive=1023
    fdrive=1023
    offd=200
    deep=15000
    resume=0
    lc=390
    hs=220
    ls=100
    i=45
    shmrd=210
    shmrp=6
    shmrr=13
    focd=200
    focp=10
    focr=10
    swing=200
    clash=100
    qon=0
    qoff=0
    flks=7
    flkd=25

OK. Now that I have reread this, I would need to see a pic of your wiring, but more importantly, I would need to see how you have the board secured within the hilt. Also having the entire board shrink wrapped is not a good idea. The board needs to breathe. That could also be part of your problem.

Boards do need to be tuned, not because each has it's own personality, but because of where one decided to place a board within a hilt. They physics of the build will determine how much "tuning" will be necessary.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I had the same problem on a couple of builds with NB v1.
    The first time I played a lot with the sensitivity settings and solved it lowering the I parameter a lot (outside the limits described by Erv in the manual though).
    The second time by pure chance I managed to find out that lowering the sound volume stopped the problem (I put the volume to 0 to tune the saber without annoying my gf).

So, try to set the volume to 3.
    In my case it worked right away without the need to get crazy with the sensitivity parameters.

I believe the problem is caused in some builds by the combined current drained by the LED and the speaker, that may be affecting the sensitivity of the board.

Lowering the volume helps in a number of cases, because the speaker vibration itself can trigger the swings. I've got an old PC saber on volume 4, and it feels like I have a rumble motor installed.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I have the same issue with my nb v2, at first it worked fine, but then it suddenly got this bug. The first time I got rid of it by cutting of the boards power, the second time it stayed.
    Then I reduced the sensitivity, set the ls-value higher and lowered the volume to 3.. the bug was gone for a day but came back right now.
    I don't want to reduce the sensitivity any further because it would make the swing-feature pointless.
    The board is secured with electrical tape (with the SD-card-side up, shouldn't cause any heat problems) and doesn't wiggle.
    Any ideas what is causing the problem or how to solve the problem?
    Thanks in advance.

Well, my first question would be, what LED are you using and do you have it resistored properly?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I have a Seoul P4 LED with a 2.2 Ohms resistor.

What makes me wonder is the fact, that everything worked without a problem with the old and the new settings, but went bad after a day.
    Last edited by Ledwo; 05-16-2014 at 10:41 AM.