Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TNT, a color changing saber with NB v1

Default TNT, a color changing saber with NB v1

It's a long time I don't post sabers on this forum, but it doesn't mean I've been sitting idle.
    Today I want to introduce one of my latest creations: TNT

This is the personal saber of my fianc?e (and her birthday present) and she chose the name because the plain hilt without the shroud looked like a TNT stick. She is using the saber during her lessons at the Academy and I finally had the time to take some good pictures before becoming too much beaten for showing her off. We designed the saber together, from choosing the MHS parts to the layout of the brass shroud, the black leather strap on the emitter choke is her finalizing touch.

Considering that we support the Academy during special events, I wanted to give her the ability to switch color of the blade when needed since more color variety is always preferred to the academic blue in these cases. Using two separate slider switches it's possible to select blue, red or purple blades. Contrary to what I expected, my fianc?e preferred the shade of purple given by the B/R pair rather than the rB/R. The switches are accessible unscrewing the pommel since we didn't want unexpected color changes using the saber. The soundboard is the lovely Nano Biscotte v1, which is currently the preferred board for the sabers at the Academy for its quality and affordable price.

But, enough of chatting, here are the specs and some glam photos.
    Many thanks for checking her out.

SPECS

MHS hilt
    Nano Biscotte v1 with Bespin 2 font from Madcow
    Three-Cree XP-E with B/rB/r wired for blue, red or purple
    Panasonic 18650 battery
    Superbass 2W speaker
    Custom brass shroud

GLAMS

Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice saber! And I love the idea of color switching like that. I would love to see a wiring diagram for that setup.

Nice! Very cool with the setup of having the internal sliding switches to change blade colors ... and with a NB no less!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Good clean lines, and an excellent polish job. Very nice saber. Keep it up!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Keep up the good work!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I'd agree with AckAck, I would be very interested in seeing the wiring diagram for that set-up. Very nice looking saber nonetheless.
    Honey, you've been looking for love in Alderaan places!

Its always special when you make a saber for a loved one. Terrific build! (way to go thinking outside the box with the switches)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Sorry, it took me quite a lot to find some spare time to draw the diagram.
    The diagram is very simple, I'm showing only the connections to the LEDs since all the other wiring (speaker, switch, recharge port) is pretty standard for the NB v1.

I hope this can help and many thanks for checking it out.
    For any other question just ask

In theory one could add a third slider switch and wire the third LED as well.
    However, in this case one must remember that only two dies can be lit at the same time to avoid blowing the board.
    Last edited by Don Se Wion; 04-07-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Thanks for the diagram! That is what I was thinking it would look like, but it is nice to get it confirmed from someone who has made it work.

Great build, thanks for sharing the diagram as well
    Clicky Sig =>