Thread: i need help illuminated latching switch

Default i need help illuminated latching switch

can anyone show me how to hook up a illuminated latching switch to a mws buck puck to a saber without sound i dont know which wires go were from the switch i have been searching the forurm for a tutorial but i cant find any thing with pictures or a wireing diagram

Sorry I couldn't find a picture, I'm sure I saw one but I'm having a brain fart.
    Anyway I pulled up this item from the store
    16mm-Anti-Vandal-Latching-Red-Ring-Switch
    there are 3 items to the right under "additional Images" the 3rd one is a pin out for that switch.

IF it is like the one you are talking about THEN it looks like the LED pins are the two on the outside.

How you wire it up depends on what you want. Some people will wire it up so it so that it comes on when you light up the blade, this is the simpler circuit. Another way, the one a lot of people use when they have a sound card, is to have a kill key and the switch lights up when the kill key is removed. You don't need a sound card for the second circuit and it would allow you to carry the hilt on your belt with the switch lit up.

For the simpler of the two ideas above, you are creating 2 circuits:
    1= Battery>switch>puck> (+ wire) > Blade LED > (neg wire) >back to battery
    2= Battery>switch> (+ wire)> resistor > switch LED > (neg wire) >back to battery

the LED in the switch needs only 20mA so it will need a separate resistor, don't wire it up to the buck puck like its a rebel LED or you will fry it.

Hope that is clear as mud. I'm a little loopy (just yelled at our imaginary dog)
    Last edited by Sevinzol; 03-24-2014 at 12:20 AM.

thanks bro this help a lot i got it to work but i think i put the resistor on wrong because i fryed the led in the switch, the switch still works but the led is gone how do i hook up the resistor

The resistor goes on the positive LED lug.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com