Thread: This is my first saber build and I want your opinions.

Default This is my first saber build and I want your opinions.

My name is Khraal,

I have done many projects using similar skills required to do this and just like everyone here I am a fan of Star Wars. (episodes 4-6 and much of the expanded universe)
    I disassembled an Ultimate FX Anakin/Vader saber for the soundboard and broke off the LED strip.
    I then cut up the plastic saber blade to make the chassis for the soundcard.

The LED I chose is the Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module and cut off the male connector.
    I soldered the wires to the right spots on the soundboard being sure to use one of the wires for both color formats on the board.
    (When the momentary switch is held the saber flashes and the sound changes to a louder hum while the blade glows brighter red, almost like a higher power setting. Instead of the original red/blue on the Ultimate FX saber)
    The original saber used three batteries so i bought the 4AA Battery holder and instead of a fourth battery I use a battery piece of round bar with a little electrical tape wrapped around the sides.
    (Originally I tried to use all four batteries but the extra power nearly burned up the Board)
    For the momentary switch I chose the 16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Nickel Plated Switch because it is the perfect switch for the utilitarian design I had in mind.
    The original speaker was much more silent than I wanted so I decided to buy the 2W 28mm Bass Speaker which is plenty loud and makes the hilt vibrate when the deeper hum setting is being used.

Now on to the hilt,
    I used a chrome plated 1.25 brass sink tube for this as it is my first build and I wanted to use my Dremel tool.
    I cut off the transition that leads up to the sink connector using a flash card as a pipe wrap to get an even line. (left it long to fit everything inside and because I have very large and rough hands due to my job.)
    I bought two MHS to 1.25" sink tube adapters then I drilled and tapped the inserts to fit an 8-32 Allen bolt.
    As for the blade holder I chose the Screw on LED blade holder style 12 as it most closely resembled Darth Banes novel saber build which was one of the three sabers that inspired me to build one of my own.
    I did not want to spend much more on it so for the pommel I chose the MPS Pommel style 7 with the MPS Insert style 1.
    I then used a routing bit in the Dremel to cut a large hole for the momentary switch. and I drilled and tapped a hole into the blade holder for a set screw.

For all of the extra details I wanted to include my favorite aspects of each of my inspiration lightsabers.
    The length and blade holder of Darth Banes (I wanted to make it curved but could not find a conduit bender for 1.25 tubing.)
    The leather wrap of General Rahm Kotas saber with black leather and I only let the leather go up so far mimicking the style of the Ancient Lightsaber from The Old Republic. (I will later burn the name Khrall in Mando'a on the leather around the top of the main grip.) I used black spray paint and foam brushes to weather it with carbon scoring and giving it the look of being picked off of a battlefield.
    Also added a D-ring clip to the bottom bolt from Home Depot.

So here it is ladies and gentlemen, hopefully you like it. (the LED looks dim in the picture but in reality is so bright it hurts when it flashes ones eyes for a fraction of a second)
    Also I ordered the thick walled clear poly blade for it and and have been waiting much much longer than anticipated. I wish the cost of shipping was lower to make up for the wait time.

1557430_749390438419132_1613603649_n.jpg
    1932356_749390495085793_2078271064_n.jpg
    10006307_749390475085795_1910524905_n.jpg
    10013495_749390408419135_1828464297_n.jpg
    Last edited by Khraal; 03-21-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Very nice! Quite individual, but still with those references you mention to your favorite sabers! I love the weathering, hope it brings hours of pleasure!

Pretty sweet man, I love a sink pipe saber. Excellent job on the weathering.

thanks guys =) feedback is always appreciated

Good work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com