Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Ranger- a Graflex style build w/ NB V2

Default The Ranger- a Graflex style build w/ NB V2

Hello all,
    This is my second sound build. It is my first build doing the board soldering myself (no MWS card this time). It is also built using the brand new Nano Biscotte V2.

I wanted to make a Graflex style saber. I love the blade holder 20 and wanted to build something around that. However, I also wanted to add a little bit of my own style to it, so this saber is not an exact recreation. Without further delay, I present...The Ranger.

I have always seen the Graflex style of saber as a rugged and tactical type. In comparison to the other, more elegant styles of hilts, the Graflex always looked more utilitarian to me because of the many knobs and buttons. I picture it as the Swiss Army knife of lightsabers.

Let?s start from the rear. I used pommel 2 with insert 12 to give it that movie look.

I tried the windshield wiper style grip but did not like it. It felt clumsy in the hand and made the hilt sit funny in my saber stand. The second time it rolled out, I had enough. I decided to use a piece of MHS sleeve material and made a simple sleeve style grip. This makes the hilt a lot better to hold without robbing from the impression of the original movie hilt.

I used my favorite switch box 6 and drilled and tapped the recharge port hole. I mounted it with black screws and used the gold switch which I feel gives it a little different look. I also rolled the switch box up at a 45 degree angle. This makes the hilt much more ergonomic in my hands. I used the Mylar sticker and tucked it under the switch box.

I used blade holder 20 with all of the trimmings. I wish this blade holder come already drilled and tapped for the bunny ears because I found them a pain to get mounted, but I managed to get it. The brass knurled knob on top is something I picked up at the hardware store to fill in the space until the TCSS gets the Graflex buttons in stock again, but I kind of like the way it looks so I think I will leave it. The brass looks nice with the gold switch and brass pins and ties everything together.

I used a Rebel Star White LED to emulate the look of the original saber from ANH. To me, when Luke first ignites the saber in Obi Wan?s house, it looks washed out and white to me.

The blade plug is my own creation. I used a hunk of blade tube and a sink aerator. I was trying to give the impression of that barrel piece that is under the shroud on the original prop.

The Nano Biscotte sound card works just as great as the original. I like the ability to switch between two sound fonts at the push of a button.

The Ranger is not the most creative saber on this forum, but I am proud of it. With each build, I tackle more work and push myself a little further. As always, I had fun building this and learned a lot.

Enjoy the pictures.

Last edited by chicago.jedi; 03-20-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Good Job!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Love it. Is that a brass thumb screw? Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Love it. Is that a brass thumb screw? Source?
    It is a brass knurled knob, 10-32 size, held on by a 10-32 set screw. I got is at Menards.

Very nice. I like it.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

We do offer to do the holes for the bunny ears.. It is just 2x 4-40 holes service.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

That is a fine graflex-inspired saber. I do like the blade plug. I've not seen one quite like that before. And the brass thumbscrew looks great up top. I probably wouldn't change it out.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

This looks great! Very cool and innovative blade plug.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------