Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnar-Gnar's PVC Builds

Default Gnar-Gnar's PVC Builds

So, I've always wanted to build a lightsaber, and am fascinated by early Star Wars prop making... but as a college student with only a handsaw, drill, epoxy, sandpaper, spray paint, and razor blades, I am limited with what i can do (even if ANH was mostly built with flash cells, machine guns and windshield wipers)

So, after lurking here for years, and some recent research, I set off to build a PVC lightsaber, and had so much fun I built many

these three are almost done, just awaiting some more parts (screws, switches, wires, covertec) and I have 4 more in the works (hand sanding takes forever!!!)

All of these feature just simple electronics, (just a pretty rebel led light ) and other than that its all PVC and belts from my local thrift shop

enjoy

IMG_0210.jpgIMG_0211.jpgIMG_0212.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0215.jpg

Thanks to all those that help me figure out some of the N00b details
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler

Holy crap! Those are some amazing sabers. Way to go! What did you use to hold the belts on?
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Those are some fantastic PVC sabers! I love the 1st and 2nd ones especially. All the little sections with different colors, it really pops. I bet it was a bear to get those pieces to fit together perfectly.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Wow. Just...wow. That's some amazing work.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

awesome work! Really like all those sectional pieces and the color scheme. Very clean!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Really nice sabers - lots of nifty details and very well done!

I agree with the others. Excellent work!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

There is some fantastic planning in especially the first two sabers to get everything aligned with all the different pieces.

The third saber looks very short. Does it have any electronics functions?

The little guy will have electronics, it'll be tight, but he'll have them... as for the other two, the longer one is running a RB Rebel, and the middle one is running a green Rebel. well, they are kinda running... I don't have a battery pack small enough to fit inside right now. Still waiting for my next paycheck so I can get the final bits and finish these guys off.

as for attaching the belts, well that's simple... I used the same 24hr epoxy that I use to fix my snowboards.