Thread: Costumes and the store.

Default Costumes and the store.

I was just thinking out loud, so to say...

I don't know what Tim has planned for the store in regards to costumes other than that there are things in the works, but after doing some sewing on my cousin's and my Halloween costumes and the increasing number of costume projects appearing lately, it's got my creative juices flowing.

I was thinking that, in the nature of the boards, it would be cool if Tim could supply some patterns and authentic looking fabrics. Possibly some common accessories found on various costumes. I was figuring that it wouldn't be too hard to get some Simplicity patters together and supply various common fabrics.

Of course this really only works well for the Jedi robes as most Sith and "bad guy" costumes require armor, and that starts to get real complicated. But I think it would be a good start. It also would be cool to have a basic sewing kit available; however it's a lot easier to do these types of projects with a machine, and that may be difficult for Tim to carry, but it would due you good to hand sew it yourself.

This would also require another tutorial on sewing basics, but I'm sure that that's not going to be too hard since it appears that we have some experience here already.

So what are your thoughts? Am I crazy? Is this more than you'd want to get into, Tim? I'm not suggesting jumping in with both feet, just dipping a toe in with just patterns and a couple of choices of fabrics. Or even just the patterns, and let everyone go to Wallyworld and choose their own fabric. Would there be a demand for it?

Just an idea... I wouldn’t be offended if you called me crazy. It wouldn’t be anything I didn’t all ready know.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't think you're crazy.

Tim mentioned getting some samples to see quality. Not sure what happened with that. Been quite a while...

Patterns would not be kosher... the Simplicity stuff is getting taken off shelves and torn out of the catalogs. No word on the reason, but it's unlicensed none the less and not good.

Materials... maybe.

I think a much more viable and related thing would be leather products. Like belts and holsters. Those are hard to find and expensive when you do find them.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Well that sucks about the patterns...

Are you talking about leather supplies or actual products?

i think hes talking about both, leather isnt that cheap.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Just one problem there Jester, Simplicity last week ordered all retailers to pull all Star Wars style patterns and destroy them.

It is total Bullsnitz, and it totally friggin sucks since all of the movie stuff was a pattern of something before it. I still have not read anywhere that it was a request by Lucas but of course it has run rampant that they had something to do with it. My gut feeling is that after the recent Stormtrooper armor case that was just granted to Lucas, Simplicity has tucked there tail and are having a panic reaction. Lucas loves the costuming, if not do you really think the 501st and RL would have gotton to where they are? Anyway, I have whined half way around the net about this already so I am done now.

Other then that it is a great idea. I bought a sewing machine, sucked @$$, returned it and will consider trying again if I could see some decent how tos.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Patterns would not be kosher... the Simplicity stuff is getting taken off shelves and torn out of the catalogs. No word on the reason, but it's unlicensed none the less and not good.

xwing, there ain't a damn costume any of us have that is licensed. How is it not good? Does that mean that all of our armor, robes, helmets, and props are bad? Dude. There is no reason why someone can't do a pattern of something that could be a Jedi or a Samauri.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird21
    Well that sucks about the patterns...

Are you talking about leather supplies or actual products?
    Well, maybe both. It'd be work to get atual products made, but I could see kits being available. All the hardware and leather you'd need, etc...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by james3
    There is no reason why someone can't do a pattern of something that could be a Jedi or a Samurai.

That's fine...

It's when you make a single penny off of it that they like to shove it where the sun don't shine. Got to love corporate America.

Well at any rate, I don't want to start 3 pages of corporate bashing, I just want to discuss any options available.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by james3
    Quote Originally Posted by xwingband

xwing, there ain't a damn costume any of us have that is licensed. How is it not good? Does that mean that all of our armor, robes, helmets, and props are bad? Dude. There is no reason why someone can't do a pattern of something that could be a Jedi or a Samauri.
    True, my robe was a samauri pattern. Just saying like Firebird that as soon as you try to make money off of that kind of stuff Lucas will start to notice.

Just being cautious for the sake of Tim.

Also I pointed out leather stuff because there is obviously a need. It's something I can see us doing. Punching some holes for rivits and a bit of stich work wouldn't be beyond most of us.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

AHHH Understand. I think that is one of those issues that will be debated forever.