Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swapping out push on/off black ugly switch for Anti Vandal Short Momentary switch???

Default Swapping out push on/off black ugly switch for Anti Vandal Short Momentary switch???

I need wiring help.
    I have a black on/off standard switch wired to my saber for on/off purposes.
    I just recently bought an Anti Vandal Short Momentary switch and want to know what I'd need to do to swap it out and make everything work correctly.

I got the blue LED version of the switch.

Does anyone have a how-to or diagram for this swap?

Thanks

unnamed.jpg
    The Dark Side is all I have...

Board Lurker

Can I get more detail on your saber? What's your power source look like? What's in your saber? Are you using drivers or a board?

Getting the "switch" portion to work is easy enough, the two wires in your current switch would have to go to the 2 lugs on the AV switch that control the switch portion. For the LED portion, we would need more information. Depending on what setup you have, the momentary might not be the switch you really need, that looks like a latching switch that you are trying to replace.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

this is the full setup, save for the LED up in the hilt
    i bought the saber pre-built and am swapping out the switch, making a few other aesthetic modifications here and there
    once i opened it up i was actually pretty disappointed in the obvious lack of care in not using connectors, heatshrink, etc. but it meh.

so if i don't care much about the LED in the switch itself lighting up i can just cut off the two wires from the existing switch and wire 'em up to the +/- poles on the switch and call it a day?

unnamed (1).jpg

Board Lurker

I don't think the momentary switch is going to do you any good. Usually you need some sort of driver or board to support that functionality. If you're dead set on that type of switch, there latching AV switches here on the shop that will do what your asking. The momentary switch (Not 100% on this) doesn't make an on/off connection. If you wired it into your current config you'd have to hold it down to complete the circuit.

Gungn1r is right. A momentary switch will not get the effect you desire, since you do have to hold the switch to keep the saber on. I know there is a workaround, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

You'll also need to enlarge the switch hole to accommodate for the AV switch.

They are both correct. Since you do not seem to have a sound card, you will need a latching, not momentary switch. Once you get a latching switch, essentially you are correct, you just move the 2 wires over and call it a day, if you are not concerned about the LED in the switch working.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Ah, I see. Okay thanks, I'll look into a latching switch then. Sucks that I apparently wasted $12.00 on this one, but live and learn I guess.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_a* View Post
    Ah, I see. Okay thanks, I'll look into a latching switch then. Sucks that I apparently wasted $12.00 on this one, but live and learn I guess.

Thanks again
    There's always the next build (or upgrade to this saber).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Board Lurker

No worries man! Think of it as a learning process, plus you already have a head start on your next one!