Thread: Very basic EE question.

Board Lurker

Question Very basic EE question.

Hey guys! I know this is probably a very basic EE question, but I can't seem to find the answer after searching for several days. Also, this is my very first EE project ever so I'm trying to absorb everything as quick as I can, but there's something I can't wrap my head around.

So, when calculating resistors, you need to know three things. Voltage from your source (6v in this case), forward voltage, and amperage. That much I understand. I've got two LED's to power: the main saber, and an accent LED. So after some research, a parallel circuit seems the way to go.

My question is this: When calculating a resistor for each of the LED's (since they're each on their own parallel circuit) do you have to take into account the draw of the previous LED, or can you calculate the resistor of each LED in a vacuum, assuming that the battery pack supplies 6V to both 'paths' of the parallel circuit? From what I read, that seems to be right, but I wanted to confirm.

Does that make sense? I can draw a diagram if need be.

Thanks so much for your help!

You are correct, you calculate each one as if it were on its own.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker

Awesome! That answers all my questions. Thanks so much for the quick reply!