Thread: Which LED is brighter, the Seoul P4 white or the Luxeon Rebel Star red?

Default Which LED is brighter, the Seoul P4 white or the Luxeon Rebel Star red?

Hey guys,
    I looked this question up and couldn't find anything on it. I just need to know which is brighter, the Luxeon Rebel Star red or the Seoul P4 white (since that's the only one in stock).

Pretty much any white will appear brighter than a red.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the word of Master Erv "It depends™"

Brightness is perceived by us simply through the wavelengths given off by the LED. White is a combination of all wavelengths, therefore- all current, voltage, etc being the same, will look brighter than the Red LED. the p4 can be driven pretty hard as well- 1000ma-1200ma. I wouldn't recommend pushing the Rebel more than 1000ma, (though I recommend 700ma to be safe)

To add another variable, Out of the colors- excluding white, Red it the brightest of the colored LEDs, again all things the same.

Hope that answers your Q.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I'm inclined to disagree with one point CC. In my experience, greens appear to be the brightest visually of the colored LEDs, while reds are the dimmest.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Rin; Between the two you asked about P4 white will be brighter than rebel red.

Since the M-cones & L-Cones of our eyes overlap quite a bit, the "precieved" brghtness of green and red will be relatively equal. Though low frequency red tends to scatter more than green which may contribute to why green can be seen from farther away than red.
    see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell

That assumes 'normal' colour vision of course...a not-insignificant portion of the population has some form of what is commonly referred to as 'colour blindness' which may alter colour PERCEPTION significantly for such individuals - i.e. for me personally a bin 1 cyan LED is distinctly brighter than an equivalent powered green LED [not a great deal, but noticeably] so one needs to ask whether one is more concerned about what is "the brightest colour" to one's OWN eyes or to an 'audience' [in the case of some saberfans who may be using them in live performances for example]. If you are concerned most about what will APPEAR brightest to yourself there is an element of "Your Mileage May Vary" from the general rules mentioned above because colour PERCEPTION is a more individual therefore subjectively complex matter than ONLY the objectively measurable physics of light and an averaged 'norm' of human physiology. However despite any differences in colour vision that could influence perceived brightness between any two specific colours of light for an individual person a white light LED which encompasses most all of the visual spectrum 'should' be brighter than any single individual colour LED of the same class if voltage, current and all other factors are held equal.

Lol, when we start discussing individual wavelength perception, this thread has gone awry....

The short of it is, SS is correct. The greens will be most visible to the eye (other than white) all other things being the same.

Okay, so then to answer my question, will it look better to have the white Seoul P4 with a clear red blade with poly wrap as a diffuser or the red rebel star with a clear red blade and poly wrap as a diffuser?

The red LED will look better with the red polycarbonate blade material imo. Any coloured polycarb blade acts as a subtractive filter so when used with a white LED removes all the spectrum from the white LED's output EXCEPT the same colour light as the blade stock thus substantially dimming the result. If you use a coloured LED that is the same colour as the coloured blade stock you will not be 'wasting' the rest of the spectrum of light therefore will not lose as much brightness - thus in your case red blade = use red LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    The red LED will look better with the red polycarbonate blade material imo. Any coloured polycarb blade acts as a subtractive filter so when used with a white LED removes all the spectrum from the white LED's output EXCEPT the same colour light as the blade stock thus substantially dimming the result. If you use a coloured LED that is the same colour as the coloured blade stock you will not be 'wasting' the rest of the spectrum of light therefore will not lose as much brightness - thus in your case red blade = use red LED.
    Then that's what I will do. Thank you so much!