Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saberforge vs other sabersmith comparisons?

Default Sabersmith comparisons (and Saberforge)?

I own a couple of Saberforge sabers with spark, which I am quite satisfied with. However I keep reading how much better other sabersmiths are. I don't NEED another saber, but I'm tempted to get either an entry level Vader's Vault, LDM or Genesis Customs saber or a saber from another maker in the $300-550 range. I keep reading how inferior saberforge sabers are in comparison, and I don't want to miss out on something better. Outside of the customer service electronics issues I've read about in the past (which have not been an issue for me), it's hard for me to tell if the saberforges are actually a step down or if it's just people saying they're not as good just because everybody else on the web is saying so. And how every different forum seems to be catered towards promoting their own saber makers which makes it somewhat hard to gain a neutral opinion.

So my question is, to those who own both saberforge and another custom saber maker's lightsabers, is there a significant enough difference for me to plop down $300-550? (obviously I would assume the $1.5k+ sabers are much nicer). And which ones of the other saber makers would you consider are better?
    Last edited by bladenano; 02-02-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenano View Post
    I own a couple of Saberforge sabers with spark, which I am quite satisfied with. However I keep reading how much better other sabersmiths are. I don't NEED another saber, but I'm tempted to get either an entry level Vader's Vault, LDM or Genesis Customs saber. Just because I don't want to miss out on something better. Outside of the customer service electronics issues I've read about in the past (which have not been an issue for me), it's hard for me to tell just from the interwebz if the saberforges are actually a step down or if it's just people saying they're not as good just because everybody else on the web is saying so (and the fact his sabers can't be discussed on many forums)

So my question is, to those who own both saberforge and another custom saber maker's lightsabers, is there a significant enough difference for me to plop down $300-600? (obviously I would assume the $1.5k+ sabers are much nicer)
    This really isn't the place for a discussion like this. This forum is attached to a DIY saber store. However, I will help you out a little, as you are brand new here (and to the hobby from the sounds of it). There is a difference. The "other sabersmiths" you mentioned are among the BEST and the most respected in the industry. I also happen to know all of them personally. They put tons of time into designing and creating their hilts. I have seen the engineering that goes into some of the VV "lower end" hilts, as well as LDM's stuff. I don't own any of theirs either (though I do own one of GCS's higher end run sabers) because I mainly build my own designs.

I don't own a SaberForge hilt (mainly because I'm experienced enough to know better), but I have had to fix them for others in the past. There is a relatively old saying in this hobby - "You get what you pay for", if you buy cheap, that's basically what you are going to get - cheap.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 02-02-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

"and the fact his sabers can't be discussed on many forums)"

Many forums shy away from discussing the competition for reasons of legal liability
    Even though saber building is a community it is also a group of businesses.
    Here is an example FX-sabers.com posted this policy in April 2011: www.fx-sabers.com/Conflict of Interest

This sight deals with people who want to build their own sabers. Might I suggest you consider having the fun of trying that yourself. You'll be amazed at what you can get for the budget you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevinzol View Post
    "and the fact his sabers can't be discussed on many forums)"

Many forums shy away from discussing the competition for reasons of legal liability
    Even though saber building is a community it is also a group of businesses.
    Here is an example FX-sabers.com posted this policy in April 2011: www.fx-sabers.com/Conflict of Interest
    OK, Let's keep this clean...
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

having both a saber forge and an ultra saber i will say you get what you pay for... but they are still functional and in some cases quite nice looking hilts. i don't really care about the politics of the hilt community or who is better etc.. but i will say that after building a few of my own i can appreciate the effort some of the more reputable smiths go to to produce some of their products... in short i'd say you can't judge until you have tried it yourself.
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    having both a saber forge and an ultra saber i will say you get what you pay for... but they are still functional and in some cases quite nice looking hilts. i don't really care about the politics of the hilt community or who is better etc.. but i will say that after building a few of my own i can appreciate the effort some of the more reputable smiths go to to produce some of their products... in short i'd say you can't judge until you have tried it yourself.
    Ah thanks for the reply. What exactly makes them inferior? Thats what I'm really trying to get at. Obviously poor customer service and faulty electronics will drive down prices, but if I have no issue with those things? Also prices are basically the same $300-500 for saberforge, 300-500 for entry level vv or ldm. You're probably right, I need to really try for myself...but it's a $300 trial

It can be really expensive, especially if you are determined to jump in and get the best of everything. On the flip side, though, you can make a pretty inexpensive saber if you go with "entry level" parts. (I put that in quotation marks because Tim and TCSS don't sell anything that is remotely low quality)

I would recommend putting together a fairly basic saber. Do a nano biscuit build with basic parts, maybe a recharge port if you feel up to it. You can do PVC very cheaply if you like simple designs or go with a nice looking aluminum one. It is not as hard as it sounds, and the members here are absolutely amazing. It is always crazy when you are working on your first build and someone like LDM, Silver Serpent, FJK, or another very experienced sabersmith steps in and helps. Which they do, and they will. It really is a great community!

I should also mention the sense of accomplishment you get. I have a customized ultrasaber (my wife's) and a MR Obi-Wan ANH. I am terrified of playing with the MR. It may have been $100+ but it feels pretty fragile. The ultrasaber I don't feel lacks anything in quality or customer service in comparison. I am confident that it will stand up to dueling. However, even with the significant modifications that I made - including paint, a PVC shroud that took hours of sanding, and customized internals with a NB sound card - I am not attached to it. It would kill me if anything happened to my saber because I built it. Best of all, you can show your friends and say "I built that."

Anyways, sorry for the long response. I don't get to answer too many questions, and I wanted to chime on this one. Good luck with whatever you decided, but it really isn't as hard as it sounds to put together. Do some reading before you order, look at other saber designs, then make one that is YOURS. You won't regret it.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Quote Originally Posted by bladenano View Post
    Ah thanks for the reply. What exactly makes them inferior? Thats what I'm really trying to get at. Obviously poor customer service and faulty electronics will drive down prices, but if I have no issue with those things? Also prices are basically the same $300-500 for saberforge, 300-500 for entry level vv or ldm. You're probably right, I need to really try for myself...but it's a $300 trial
    I'm converting a Saberforge saber right now for a client. I have done a few in the past as well. I have noticed major corner-cutting when it comes to details. In the past, the hilts are always extremely dirty and oily inside. I mean REALLY dirty; metal shaving included! Other things I have seen numerous times include very poor electronics installs and "improper" use of adhesives. The hilt I'm currently working on had no protective heatshrink on the some of the major connections and the switch was glued in place vs. being held with an internal nut.

I also ordered from Saberforge years ago and never received the hilt. He eventually refunded me but it was not an easy transaction.

Pic with paper towels below is after I ran them through the hilt a few times.

Last edited by Takanis; 02-03-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Adding pic
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

Quote Originally Posted by Takanis View Post
    I'm converting a Saberforge saber right now for a client. I have done a few in the past as well. I have noticed major corner-cutting when it comes to details. In the past, the hilts are always extremely dirty and oily inside. I mean REALLY dirty; metal shaving included! Other things I have seen numerous times include very poor electronics installs and "improper" use of adhesives. The hilt I'm currently working on had no protective heatshrink on the some of the major connections and the switch was glued in place vs. being held with an internal nut.

I also ordered from Saberforge years ago and never received the hilt. He eventually refunded me but it was not an easy transaction.

Pic with paper towels below is after I ran them through the hilt a few times.

Ewwww

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

How long has saberforge been around?

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!