Thread: cutting polycarbonate tube

Default cutting polycarbonate tube

I am wondering how you cut to polycarbonate tube to the length you want? Dremel? Hacksaw? Chopsaw? Er...no forget that one

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Actually a chop saw is exactly what I use. With a plastic cutting blade of course. If you dont have one then use a pipe cutter. A hand saw would be a little hard to do a straight cut with.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Default cuting polycarbonate

Cool. Thats exactly what I have in the garage. Even the blade to cut plastic with on the chopsaw.
    One more question though. Can I use all 17 feet of wire in a (total length) 32 inch blade? How many times would I have to "fold" the wire?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Doing the math, I would say you probably can't get 17' of EL wire into an approximately 31" long 5/16" ID diffuser. That would be 6.5 strands and 6 folds.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Default cuting polycarbonate

So cut the EL wire? Seems like a lot to get into such a small space. Suggestions? Cut the wire down? Go with a longer length of polyc?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Just cut the wire to whatever length you need. 6 strands should fit.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I did cut my pc tube (for luxeon) some weaks a go with a saw for metals... I turned ou quite well, but it's hard to cut straicght and then you will have to sand down the edgeabit. But I'm happy with my results for the moment

I have used my dremel and my pipe cutter. The pipe cutter is slower, but makes a more even cut, but the pipe does need minor "tweaking" after, in order to fit in the blade holders. It also makes no mess.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

And, btw, my brother did a green EL with 6 strands, and it fit. (pretty tight, though)

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.