Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Two sabers for family

Default Two sabers for family

I was 'commissioned' by my cousin to build his two sons (ages 9 and 11) a couple of months ago. I had them each do a drawing of what they would like their sabers to look like. I tried to stay as close as possible while still taking some artistic liberties with their designs. Both sabers are running NB's.

Here is the 11 year olds drawing. He wanted a green blade, lightside saber with aging and battle wear. It was pretty tough to stuff everything in such a short handle with a choke and ribbed section.

Henry LightSaber Sketch by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

and the finished product:

IMG_0498 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0499 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0500 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

Here is the 9 year olds drawing. He wanted a new looking red, darkside saber. I etched the sleeve with root killer and salt bath.

Hogan Lightsaber sketch by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0495 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

The power switch placement was a pain to do. The sleeve covers up the channel I cut through the body and blade holder threading for the switch to pass through.

IMG_0502 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

I custom fab'd the emitter guard from some L-shaped aluminum and several thin sheets of polycarbonate epoxied together.

IMG_0497 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

I painted the sides of the pc guard but left the top and bevels exposed so the it lights up with the blade.

IMG_0493 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr

And a family portrait:

IMG_0501 by Simon Rivers Photography, on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking sabers. Neat idea on the switch, too. That little blade under the emitter is wicked!

Very cool! Nice execution on both of these!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Thanks guys. They weren't necessarily complex builds. But they both presented their own challenges. Everything was done with a dremel, drill, hand files and sandpaper.

Good work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

These are really great executions of the ideas in the sketches! You have my sympathies on combining chokes and ringed or "V-groove" sections. Really nice, rugged looking designs built to last. Very cool!

Thank you.

They are definitely going to get some serious impact testing. I made every connection as stout and clean as I possibly could. Shrinked every junction.

Im betting someone gets cracked in the head within the first couple of days. The parents have been warned. But you know how brothers are.....

Yes indeed. But hey, sometimes fighting your brother with a glowing stick is just so much more gratifying than using fists.

I really like the way the gaurd looks on the second saber, great job.

I'll admit, I don't like the guard on the first saber, it looks like an afterthought. The shroud is nice tho, and the weathering on the ribbed section looks good behind the brass/gold cutout.

The second saber... wow. I love the blade/bladeguard on this one. Brilliant using the polyc so it reflects the blades light. Great build! The etching is wonderful and I love the placement of the button.