Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Giman", a spare parts saber by Yoshi-Taka

Aluminum doesn't scorch. It will burn, but you won't get the pretty discolorations like you do with steel. Mostly it just melts and burns away, assuming a hot enough fire. I've done it with my bunsen burner at work. The results are not pretty.

I recommend holding the emitter over a candle, down into the flame. You'll get a soot buildup that may be the look you're seeking.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yeah.. neither does chrome sinktube, apparently. Very disappointing. I may have toy try a candle though.

Still looks nice I think. Its like if a Sith didn't really care what their saber looked like as long as they had one.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

That's basically what I was going for. Because that's how I felt, really. And it's going to look more so soon, as I took sandpaper and a lighter to it repeatedly. It looks old(er) and worn. The chrome on some of the shroud is actually chipping off, which is cool.

you could also try to "season" your saber like an iron skillet or wok. I know I've used spray canola oil on cupcake tins and it is a bear to scrub off afterwards and there are lots of threads by people who have burned olive oil onto saber parts. Experiment on scrap pieces first.

Hm.. honestly that sounds like more work than I'm willing to put into a throwaway saber.

So I made some updates to Giman today. Nothing too epic, really. Swapped out the switch (because I annihilated the old one), and changed the screw to a thumbscrew. Also took coarse sandpaper to the whole thing and really worked it over. I.. actually really like the saber now. It's much smoother and feels really good to use. It's a very awesome Vapaad lightsaber now.

Yes, it's technically an illuminated switch but I didn't want to wire up the LED.