Thread: Soldering Station short?

Default Soldering Station short?

My Stahl soldering station blew its main fuse out of the blue. After replacing it, it'll power on for just a second before blowing it again. I discovered (after three fuses) that it only does this when the iron is plugged in. With no iron, it's fine. I guess there's a short in the iron itself. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before ordering a new iron.
    D

Can you change the element in your iron?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Don't think so. It's a package product. Still under warranty though. I'll just get it replaced.
    D

Is it a pencil iron? Like a weller station "regulator" or a normal sized? What brand?

It's a Stahl Tools temperature controlled soldering station (ironically referred to by the manufacturer as a "TCSS"...). I dismantled the heating element and there appears to be some damage in the wires inside. Defect maybe. Worked great for about 9 months then poof. Luckily they're replacing it for me.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by dgregory View Post
    It's a Stahl Tools temperature controlled soldering station (ironically referred to by the manufacturer as a "TCSS"...). I dismantled the heating element and there appears to be some damage in the wires inside. Defect maybe. Worked great for about 9 months then poof. Luckily they're replacing it for me.
    That's good new than no?

I don't bother with a station. Just a weller on it's own. But my soldering set up is all pro. I work in broadcast and am soldering a lot of the time. A decent iron makes all the difference