Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord Zen's Next Saber

Default Progress photo

All the pieces reassembled.
    Just imagine that the middle bit is painted black

This is an amazing build. The pictures were clear, and really brought out the highly detailed work you put into this. Really well done!

Default An important piece

Thought I would post a quick picture of this very important piece:

It's a piece of scrap Nylon I used when drilling the holes and cutting into the Graflex section.
    This prevented the Graflex from flexing when drilling, especially near the L-cut notch. It also reduced the burring on the inside.

You can see the set of holes at the top for the activation box, and how it was also used for the radial side cuts.

Default A little light weathering

I got around to weathering the Obi pommel:

I only wanted to apply a light weathering to the pommel so went easy on any dings and dents.
    Increasingly fine grades of sanding papers and wire wool was used to scuff and polish different areas.

Default Skeletal Derelict?

More playing about with the crystal chamber piece I made.

The chamber won't fit into the small internal diameter of the ribbed section. So I thought I'd see what it would look like if I used the chamber instead of the ribbed part.

I think it creates a "Skeletal Derelict" or Starkiller feel:

The parts are just resting in place, and not attached or secured in any way.

I'm not sure the overal saber would be very strong if I decided to pursue this direction. The front and rear sections are only held rigid by the three sections of M2 rod, which would not be enough if a blade were attached and swung.

Looks great man! I've wanted to do " tribute" derelict saber ever since it's inception. But more dueling oriented. As in no control box

I am also planning on doing a similar type of tribute saber. Have to finish my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by son of korriban View Post
    Looks great man! I've wanted to do " tribute" derelict saber ever since it's inception. But more dueling oriented. As in no control box
    That'll be an interesting challenge

The Derelict is a very pretty saber, but in my experience not the most comfortable one to hold.
    Would need to "soften" the cubes on the Obi pommel and have a strong connection between the ribbed section and the Graflex.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with

Quote Originally Posted by setelf3of5 View Post
    I am also planning on doing a similar type of tribute saber. Have to finish my first one.
    Cool, more Derelicts

Default Custom kill key

A cheap little kill key I put together:

Used a stainless steel thumbscrew. Hacked off the screw thread and filed the surface smooth. Then drilled a 5.5mm hole and glued in a style 4 kill plug.
    The hole is around 4mm deep and the plug fits flush when in the recharge port.
    Last edited by Lord Zen; 11-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.

I was able to strengthen the connection between the graflex top and ribbed section by machining a bushing that attaches to the TCSS blade holder and snuggly slides into the gribbed section to about 1" depth.

Similiar to what I did here:

-Denzil