Thread: Burled wood effect on PVC how to video included

Default Burled wood effect on PVC how to video included

Hey guys,

This is the same method I used for creating the Damascus Steel effect. The thread includes the 'how to' video that I had mentioned in the Damascus thread. Again the method is the same, just using different color paints.

Recap:

In the video I am using cold water in the bucket. This will buy you about 25 or 30 seconds. Past that point the paint will began to take on a dry, rigid texture on the waters surface and will not be ideal for this process. Please note, the dry time may be different with other types of paint.

Also use the toothpick and pulled your paint pattern inward and toward the middle, filling the waters surface full with a pattern. Dip right away before your pattern expands outward or globs up. okay that should cover it.

video

In this last picture I shot a little clear enamel on this test piece just to see if it would bring out the color and wood grain (it did). It would look even better with a little sanding and several coats.

That is such a cool effect! I was just thinking today how to make parts look like wood for a Wookiee themed saber. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for another great tutorial, Defcon.

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing this. Definitely something I'll need to try someday.

Thanks, guys ..Happy to contribute.

I have an idea for an anodized green hilt with Black swirl. It wont be an imitation finish of any kind, but it may look cool. I'll post pics when its done.

Def

nice effect!

Is that just a bucket of water then?

And have you tried the same effect on aluminum/metal?

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    nice effect!

Is that just a bucket of water then?

And have you tried the same effect on aluminum/metal?
    Yes, just cold water. This particular paint is rust-oleum 'ENAMEL'(based) It bonds very well to wood, metals or plastics...and this method will work on metals. There are some types of paint that will simply not work when spraying on water. I have some "metalcast" paint, its an Anodized treatment to give metal an anodized color finish. (I'm sure your familiar with it). I believe it has naptha or some other quick drying ingredients in with the paint . As soon as it hits the water it dries into a sheet of paint. lol

I have had no issues with enamel paints. I used this rust-oleum brand on several projects for metal and plastics. I will say that all though dry to the touch pretty quick, after I finish all the painting on a project I let the paint completely cure/dry for about 5 to 7 days.
    Last edited by Defcon4; 01-22-2014 at 07:36 PM.

cool video - thanks for sharing!

LOCKHEED

Here are a few other finishes I've been playing around with.

1st) is a Damascus finish, Like I have in the other topic.

2nd) Maybe Carbonite? can you make a hilt out of carbonite?

3rd) Kryptonite? maybe I could call the saber "Death to El'"

Last edited by Defcon4; 01-22-2014 at 07:48 PM.