Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LED Brightness Chart

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That has nothing to do with the topic but everything you've said has been "played" with already. Check out ASAP. Corbin has pics of optics and comparing them in normal settings and IR.

A 1W would never have a problem with heat. A 3W needs some type of heatsink to cool. Tim's LED holder does this well enough but if you stepped up to a 5W (which I've never seen in a saber) you'd need an insane amount of cooling. Corbin diagramed doing a fan in a hilt and the vent system but it never came about.

LEDs no matter what are pretty much brighter too. The lime green can match pretty closely, but any other color is no match for even a 1W LED.

I suggested a peltier cooler many months ago on ASAP but it comes down to that it would cool rather well but it would only take up space because you'd need a heatsink or fan for the hot side of the peltier anyway.

No offense but your posts are rambles that need to be started as a seperate thread.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

xwing, I am building a 5 watt right now. I'll be using Tim's holder inside a brass pipe inside a copper coupling. I know everyone (includding Tim) sais it's not enough, but I won't believe it until it burns my hand. Anyway if the difference is the same as between 1 to 3 watt LEDs, I won't be bothered anymore and go back to 1 watters. I managed to get a 1 Watt Royal Blue to look brighter than an 2005 MR FX Anakin. Why go through all the trouble

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I have never said it wouldnt work..never even had a 5w. Let us know how it turns out.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, I would love to know how that turns out. The only color I ever considered it on was purple since that color is the toughest one to get bright. I hope you bought more than one though. I bet it burns out in under 15 minutes unheatsinked. (no money in that bet though[])

From what I read it all depends on the power you drive it at. A 1W does look like a 3W if you only drive it at the power for a 1W. The difference between the 1W to 3W is not as much optics or tech as it is they beefed it up and it can handle more power and heat for longer.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Tim, you're right, you never said that, but since you were looking into a fan cooled sollution, my deduction was that you don't consider your holder provides enough heatsinking for a 5 watt. The way I see it, if the holder resides in an all metal environment, there should be enough heat dissipation to keep the LED at a nominal temperature. I'll be powering this from 2 9 volt batteries running in paralel and a Hasbro attached to the whole thing with the voltage dropped to 5 volts through a Zener diode. The resistor I use for the LED is 3.3 ohm.

Did you guys see my red 3 watt powered from 2 C batteries? Since red has a 2.9 forward voltage, 3 volts are enough to bring it up to full brightness - brighter than the MR Vader
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

I Have Put a 5W in My Mod Hilt but it is white. I does look good with the colored discs. It gives back what the discs take away. I can stack 3 disc without much diff in the brightness. I 'm Alittle low on max power at 1000Ma but you can tell the difference since the 3W white has in my mind the lowest in brightness. Is there a such thing as a condenser that lets power out slowly once built up instead of in one bang? I just got 2 5w Blues and would like to push them alittle harder maybe 1500Ma. That will be the test on the Heatsink. Gelukhangharr, asre you using brass for some additional Cooling? If so DO NOT brass will pull heat from an object but does not release it very fast so it will hurt more than help.

Thanks for the heads-up. No, the brass is there purely for logisitcs reasons. The copper coupling I'm using is too big for Tim's holder, so I sleaved it in a sink pipe - that's the brass - but it is quite thin.

I've got some Lux V's laying around, I think I'll put one inside a modular hilt to see how well it'll handle the heat. Since the entire hilt is aluminum, it can help dissipate the heat. It should work fine, but we'll see.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity