Thread: Saber 19

Default Saber 19

So one day I was bored... er... uninspired at work and was trolling through deviantART and I ran across this lightsaber design:

So, there, full disclosure, the initial concept isn't mine, and hopefully I haven't stomped on anyone's copyright. Anyhow, I really liked the simple design; I really wanted to work on my dremel-fu; and I wanted to spend some quality time with a Nano Biscotte. Throw in some personal touches, and the end result is what I present below (a tribute saber if need be). Why Saber 19? That was the file number it happened to be. Someday I hope to build Saber 6. Saber 2 needs to be deleted. There's no logic, just go with it.

SPECS:
    Nano Biscotte
    18650 3.7v 3400mAh
    (3) Cyan accent led's, tried to match the main color
    CC(W) Tri-rebel
    MHS and sink tube and the acrylic chassis disks
    Copper mesh with a drafting mylar inner wrap

GLAMS:

I need to shoot a video, but so far they've not been good because I have no video-fu. It?s running Madcow's Korriban font, thanks to a project that didn't end up using it and Saberfont.com. It's one of my favorites. This saber is so loud I need to crack it open and adjust the volume down, as the power down actually hurts my ears and our cat runs away and hides.

A note on the chassis - I asked Tim to add an extra set on holes on one recharge port disk, so I could transition to the smaller extension disks and keep them actually centered and aligned. Thanks Tim! This gave me the scootch of room I wanted to let the chassis slip in under the copper/mylar. For reference, the front face of the recharge port chassis is just a smidge short of the back edge of the rear cutout, and it was white knuckle time when I drilled that hole (last) since the chassis was all wired up at that point. More on that below... Luckily, it hit correctly. Uh, I mean, my mad skillz let me drill that hole exactly where it had to go. Yeah, that sounds better? Oh, and the sink tube at the switch has a hidden set screw.

So, what I learned: 1.) I don't want to cut any grooves in MHS for a while - I've got about two dozen half-used disks on my bench waiting for some rip cuts. Cut a pair of grooves, burn cutting hand through a pair of gloves on the hot hilt, allow to cool then hand file till bored. Ease those edges, or you'll end up with a bunch of parallel cuts in your hand! 2.) I really like the layering the sink tube gives, and the shadow the battery casts on the mylar. 3.) I need to work on modifying a plug adapter, I don't think it seats correctly the way I've got the port, darn it. If need be, the chassis' got enough slack in it to slide out for charging if I can't figure something out. 4.) I need to make a kill key, same problem. Minor, and thank you Deep Sleep mode.

I hope you enjoy the saber. Critique away!
    Last edited by amwolf; 01-13-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Punctuation. No, really, where did all the question marks come from?

One word - damn.

Another series of words - I really like the design. It's good to see the final product came out faithful to the original design. I found a design on dA as well which gave me inspiration for an emitter shroud. Glad I'm not the only one who checks out designs there. Nice work!

what a stunning hilt. Bravo.

Very impressive. I know what a pain it can be to get those parallel cuts looking just right. You did a fine job there. The illuminated cutouts really make this saber pop.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks, everyone!

This is really awesome amwolf! I love the sleek, simple design of it. And those grooves/cutouts are right on the money. AND they illuminate too?? Just awesome, well done!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Getting those cuts even can be difficult. Nice work. Reminds me a little of TPM Obi

Great job, I like the simplicity. The grooves look almost machined! You have much more patience than I...

Now the big question, you are able to get to deviantART at work?! Lucky guy!

Thanks, everyone! When you're building for yourself, the horrid amount of time spent with hand files and sand paper doesn't matter. I think it took about an hour per groove pair to cut and file to finished level - quick I am not. As for dA, I have no idea how deviant things get over there, so we haven't had to block [anything] yet.

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    I think it took about an hour per groove pair to cut and file to finished level - quick I am not.
    I think for a project this.. involved, not taking your time would have ended with a lot of screw ups, loud swearing, and money spent on replacement parts.