Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Costume tutorials while building: SW: The Old Republic: Jedi Guardian (2014 Build)

Ok, so I finished with the layers and forgot to delete some of the sections in the layers, but I guess I coluld just add them when I paint it. Here is the end result on the gauntlet build and ready for paint prep. Now I just have to do the other one. Pfft.

IMG_20140121_222419_251.jpg

And guess what the store just dropped off!?

IMG_20140121_152903_458.jpg

As a fellow pep guy I have to say your doing a great job explaining some basic things (let's be honest it's not easy to explain the pep viewer to people).. And there are a few tricks to it you just have to learn as you go along. Right clicking objects and scroll wheeling.. As well as choosing the proper print type (as well as double checking pieces that jump around when you actually reach proper scale..)

So your doing great and making us pep talkers proud!

All in all I absolutely love pepakura for it's ability to be 100% accurate to scale.. And to be glassed and painted as one would do a true helm (Foam is not so much but is great for armor's)

I also have a project to post one sad far away day (read forever from now) so I always watch pep builds for any new tips or tricks I can pick up from guys I meet or I can pass on from guys I have met.

Keep up the great work on the tut! Your creating a path for someone else to follow, kudo's to that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Quote Originally Posted by dgdve View Post
    As a fellow pep guy I have to say your doing a great job explaining some basic things (let's be honest it's not easy to explain the pep viewer to people).. And there are a few tricks to it you just have to learn as you go along. Right clicking objects and scroll wheeling.. As well as choosing the proper print type (as well as double checking pieces that jump around when you actually reach proper scale..)

So your doing great and making us pep talkers proud!

All in all I absolutely love pepakura for it's ability to be 100% accurate to scale.. And to be glassed and painted as one would do a true helm (Foam is not so much but is great for armor's)

I also have a project to post one sad far away day (read forever from now) so I always watch pep builds for any new tips or tricks I can pick up from guys I meet or I can pass on from guys I have met.

Keep up the great work on the tut! Your creating a path for someone else to follow, kudo's to that!!

I appreciate your comments. Yea, this method is like any other art, it takes time and learning what works for you and using tricks learned from trial and error and RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH! Kind of like, measure twice and cut once. But sometimes you have to just go with it and learn. It's taken me pretty much a year to figure things out and I still don't think I have everything. But, if it weren't for those guys who I refer to in this tutorial I wouldn't even have started this new and fun hobby. Not even mentioning all the help they give me and my constant questions, like Silver Serpent, who has helped me a lot on learning the saber stuff.

Guantlets Build: Completed

Now, mind you... I'm not making this costume to look EXACTLY like the Jedi Guardian but just trying to get darn close to it.

Since my first gauntlet turned out pretty good and I've exceeded the matching on the second one I will simply use both instead of making them exactly alike. Fortunately, after looking at the mini-movie at the begining of The Old Republic game the gauntlets aren't exactly the same but has differences on the inside collar. Meh... So, here is a few more photos and explanations of how I did it.

IMG_20140122_105559_398.jpg

Here you see the stencil, The base layer (Thicker anti-fatigue Mat) and the thinner (3mm foam matting from the hobby store).

IMG_20140122_105726_049.jpgIMG_20140122_105737_371.jpgIMG_20140122_110146_263.jpg

Here you see that I used pray on adhesive. This is the basic stuff but I suggest you get the medium stuff at a hobby store. I just had this can from when I was getting some fiberglass to stick to a interior of a helmet. I simply used scratch paper to protect the surface area, sprayed the thin foam matting and then transferred it to the base layer of the gauntlet.

IMG_20140122_111644_457.jpg

Here I used the hot glue gun and added the detailed pieces.

IMG_20140122_114922_661.jpg

On the top of the gauntlet I used the thicker 5mm hobby foam matting to do the detail pieces and another piece of anti-fatigue matting to do the wrist guard. I had to double up to do the oblong block in the center and cut diagonally to give the proper look. I suggest using a large box cutter knife to get nice straight cuts so the cut doesn't warp the edges. Sharper the knife... easier the job.
    Last edited by Echo4Delta; 01-22-2014 at 11:34 AM.

IMG_20140122_120059_323.jpgIMG_20140122_120109_116.jpgIMG_20140122_120133_524.jpg

If you note in the pictures in the previous post that the wrist guard looks weird. Its because it doesn't follow the contour of the gauntlet. So in here you see where I got a small strip of the thick foam and glued it on the inside... pulled in the edges and glued it to the inside of the gauntlet. Also, this closes the gap to the gauntlet and wrist for better fitting later.

IMG_20140122_114859_814.jpgIMG_20140122_115933_760.jpg
    Before and After

Uh oh... its way too big... but the length on the forearm is right... what to do....

IMG_20140122_120008_167.jpgIMG_20140122_120144_703.jpgIMG_20140122_120752_015.jpg

Simply turn it around (where no one will really see it anyway) and cut the appropriate section size out. If you're kind of worried that you'll cut too much. Just cut a little at a time, squeeze it together on your forearm for a test fit. Use a SHARP hobby knife (I prefer to use a large retractable utility knife) and make a nice straight cut so the ends match up nicely.

If your gauntlet is too small. Just cut down the center put a strip of foam between it and glue it back together. If you mess up a bit and you think it looks crooked or ugly (too much glue) simply get a piece of thin foam and over it. Boom!

So, that's pretty much it. I will set it off to the side and let the curve hold. Maybe even put it on a contoured cup or someting to give it extra help in shaping until its time to seal and paint.

IMG_20140122_120831_860.jpg

Here is the side by side comparison of the two gauntlets. They are slightly different only people like you or I might see, but after I paint them to purposefully look different, I doubt anyone will care. By layering different thicknesses of foam or materials like this can save you a whole lot of detailed painting or enough detail on its own to make the observers think that you are a mastermind. Not to mention after you paint it that you're an armor smith. ha!

I'm thinking of adding LEDs to these bad boys to really make them pop. But if I do it, I promise to show you how I did that too!

DSC00950.jpgIMG_20140122_154827_596.jpgIMG_20140122_154843_144.jpg

The Cod:

Again, Layers are your friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Echo4Delta; 01-22-2014 at 07:36 PM.